HP Pavilion HDX Entertainment Series Notebook Linux Mint issues

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

HP Pavilion HDX Entertainment Series Notebook Linux Mint issues

Post by ZakGordon »

Hardware:

Centrino T8100 2.1-GHz 32bit system
3GB Ram
20.1-inch WSXGA UltraBrightView (1920 × 1200)
nVidia 8800M GTS Discrete x 16 Graphics via MXM
HDD 320-GB 5400-rpm

Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 (Rebecca) 32 bit. Full install, not dual boot etc. I simply deleted windows from the HDD and installed Mint over the repartioned HDD, so there is nothing but Linux Mint on this PC currently.

Output of inxi -Fxz:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: HP1920 Kernel: 3.13.0-100-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.4) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard (portable) product: N/A version: F.39
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 30E2 version: KBC Version 87.0B
           Bios: Hewlett-Packard version: 68DVD Ver. F.39 date: 06/19/2008
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU T8100 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8378.6 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G92M [GeForce 8800M GTS] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau Resolution: 1152x864@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV92 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-100-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection 
           driver: iwl4965 ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 10:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Marvell 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: sky2 ver: 1.30 port: 2000 bus-ID: 28:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (1.9% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MK1652GS size: 160.0GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: TOSHIBA_MK1652GS size: 160.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 20G used: 4.8G (26%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 121G used: 990M (1%) fs: ext4 
           ID: swap-1 size: 6.73GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 41.0C mobo: 32.0C gpu: 60.0 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 155 Uptime: 1:56 Memory: 270.0/3029.5MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
----------------------------

My issue is related to trying to install nvidia drivers for the 8800M GTS GPU the laptop uses, but also possibly an intermitent boot error issue.

After installing any kind of nvidia driver (from the 'Driver Manager' option) to replace the default 'nouveau' one i get the infamous 'black screen' issue. Usually i have time to boot into the desktop (so can see the nvidia boot up logo etc), then about a minute or less before the screen seems to 'turn off'. The PC remains on, but is unusable due to the black screen. It is not a power management setting or screensaver issue as those are all turned off (the system is a laptop but as it is old the battery is dead so it requires power cable all the time, so i changed the normal laptop usage settings to be always on etc).

I performed this command from advice given on removing nvidia drivers:

sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*
And that atleast has stopped me getting trapped with the black screen issue, but i'm back on the 'nouveau' drivers for now.

The second part (perhaps related?) of the problem is that roughly 50% of the time when i switch the laptp on it will not boot into a GRUB menu and just waits on a semi-black (not fully black as above, dark grey - looking as if it is trying to do something etc) screen forever, prompting a hard reboot. I do see the HP boot options (F2, F5; how to access bios etc) prior to the semi-blank screen, just nothing Mint related.

The other half of the time i get the GRUB screen after the HP bios options and Mint boots up fine (the Mint Logo appears then the login screen etc).

In terms of the nvidia drivers it would be nice to use the provided GPU to it's fullest, but the biggest concern is the tempremental boot up nature of the laptop under Mint, so any help for all or some of this is much appriciated.

Even after a years trouble free Mint use on my other laptop (An Acer Travelmate), i am not an expert Linux Mint user, so be gentle in your advice please :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: HP Pavilion HDX Entertainment Series Notebook Linux Mint issues

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Ok those are different steps than i tried so i will give them a go and see if that fixes everything, thanks for the link :)

I posted in this section as i'm wondering if it is some kind of hardware issue in terms of Mint and general compatibility with the particular laptop i've installed it on? Also my other laptop 'just worked' (no fancy GPU to worry about).

Edit:Update1

Ok there is a problem in that looking in the PPA directory i get the same driver (340.98) that i have in the Driver Manager in Mint, one i already tried that gives the 'black screen' issue i mentioned in my initial post.

hmmm. One thing i did notice on running the -nvidia purge command the readout for that seemed to remove a few (or two) nvidia drivers, i had tried some of the other options in the Device Manager, and an external driver from Nvidia for my card (340.100). None of those worked (without the 'black screen'), and all are now gone from my system after the nvidia purge.

As i am now completely nvidia driver free, i will try the Device Manager again for that 340.98 driver and see if i get the 'black screen' again, unless the version of 340.98 from those PPA steps is better/different to avoid the 'black screen'?
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Update 2:

Ok so trying to re-download and install the 340.98 (recomended) driver from the Driver Manager did not work. It starts to do something (the 'progress' green bar thing flashes up for a second or two then disappears) then stops and i'm still on the Nouveau driver. Did maybe my use of:

sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*
maybe include linux commands to block something (like those dashes '-'?)?

So i followed the steps in the link that deepakdeshp provided, and i got to download and install 340.101 (it decided that was the one) from the PPA repository and the first re-boot gave just a 'blank screen' after the i had logged in to my profile (the PC was still running, the Mint startup sound played etc, just no cursor/no desktop view).

After the second reboot (a hard reboot as i have to power off while Mint is still running) i did get to the desktop and thought that might be it, all those issue i posted about in the first post might be gone.

Sadly after about 30 secs or so (as detailed in the first post) the desktop went into 'blank screen' status again (again, this is not a Power Management issue, everything is set to be on all the time, no timed switch off, no screen saver etc).

So i'm back to square one as mentioned in the first post.

So what do i do now, i've forgotten the short cut command to force Mint to boot into the termial on boot up (i need to do that now to run the purge nvidia command) so advice on that would be a correct next step for me.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

---------------------

Edit: as an aside does anyone have experience with fanCON and Mint?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fancon/

I ask as possibly due to the use of Nouveau (Nvidia drivers not working so far) i just had to shut down my system as the GPU hit 96 degrees C! So i'm looking for a way to force the GPU fans to function (i use Psensor to monitor temps and that warned me). I know if i could get the Nvidia drivers to function i could look to setup 'cool-bits', but i'm stuck for now on the Nouveau drivers and not seeing an obvious GPU fan control option?

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Ok, so i managed to get back to removing the Nvidia drivers and back on Nouveau, so Mint does work most of the time (still get the occasional blank screen during boot-up, and need to hard reboot again, maybe not as frequently as mentioned up post).

I found this thread for the 'blank screen' issue and before jumping into it was looking for some feedback from more knowledgable Mint people here, is this a good guide to go through, as i seem to have a serious issue in relation to the 'black screen' problem? Here is the advice i am considering trying (just using the correct driver (340.100) for my card):

'HowTo: Install latest NVIDIA Driver on Linux without getting black screen':

https://elementaryforums.com/index.php? ... -screen.7/

So thoughts on that advice? Also how do i actually edit GRUB? If i open that file in the Mint text editor i can't seem to edit anything?

Edit: And just in case i'm not getting much help due this thread maybe being in the wrong section of the forum, i figured this might indeed be a hardware problem in relation to this particular laptop (as my other laptop is fine) - but if it needs moving to the graphics card forum maybe a mod could do that so it gets the correct assistance perhaps? I maybe made a newbie mistake in putting it here in the hardware section?

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

output from 'cinnamon --replace'

Cjs-Message: JS LOG: About to start Cinnamon
Window manager warning: Trying to remove non-existent custom keybinding "magnifier-zoom-in".
Window manager warning: Trying to remove non-existent custom keybinding "magnifier-zoom-out".
Cjs-Message: JS LOG: Cinnamon started at Fri Jan 13 2017 09:54:39 GMT+0100 (CET)
Cjs-Message: JS LOG: network applet: Cannot find connection for active (or connection cannot be read)
Window manager warning: Log level 16: STACK_OP_REMOVE: window 0x76 not in stack
I'm still getting the odd boot up failure, and GRUB always fails to load in that situation. If i can see a GRUB boot menu then i know i can boot into the system fine. Still it would be nice to know more about GRUB, especially in relation to the Nvidia driver black screen problem.

my output from glx info seems fine, as in no errors and lots of Open GL references, all for the Nouveau drivers i'm currently running on having purged Nvidia for the moment. I think that command will be more handy when i actually have an Nvidia driver installed?

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

I have no idea if this is a dual GPU setup, it has that Nvidia 8800M GTS that i can see from the inxi -Fxz output in my first post. If i was still on windows i'd know where to go to check if it also had an on-board GPU (i think it does not however). I've been reading threads about people having the same 'black screen' issues on their laptops, but mostly they are on dual GPU systems (on-board+discreet) and they have a specific option to go through to fix their issues, for my particular laptop i'm not so sure.

Update 3: Not much change so far, i haven't started the process from the links i gave in the posts above as i'm just not sure if they are good advice or not for my situation?

Not sure what further info i can give to help others point me in the right direction either?

However it is now clear i need to find a solution to the new over-heating problem. The GPU hit 106 degrees C yesterday (i had left it on the desktop and stopped paying it attention, big mistake!). Luckily it did not catch on fire or burn the house down, but somehow since i started this process of trying to install the Nvidia drivers (and then having to uninstall them to make the laptop function again) this has caused a new problem in relation to how the fans on the GPU are working. Did that 'purge nvidia' command remove fan control and monitoring perhaps?

The only safe way to currently use the laptop is to boot it in the 'safe mode' when that option comes up in GRUB (and maybe half the time i don't even get the GRUB). Then it does not use the GPU at all.......ahhh so yes it does have an on-board GPU option then,ok well that is one part of the puzzle solved. I may need to go the optimus/bumble bee route to get the Nvidia drivers to work?

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Mint seems to be loading more often now, not getting GRUB but the Logo does appear now more often than not (in the last dozen or so boot ups), so maybe that intermittent boot issue has resolved itself?

After that last 106 degree C temp shut down, i'm still not happy with how Mint is controlling the fans. And here is a classic example on this laptop. After logging in and getting to the main desktop view, Psensor shows the temps are either semi-stable (in the 50-70 degree ranges) or it just keeps going up until i get a warning (i have set Psensor to display a warning at 80 degrees C) when it is required to log out of the Mint desktop view. After the logout the GPU fans fire up and you can clearly hear them, so i leave them in that state (at the Mint login screen) for a few mins until they ramp down.

It seems under MInt on this laptop they ONLY do this at the login screen but not on the desktop? Why would that be? This is the GPU not the CPU fans, CPU fans are fine and temps solid. Very curious.

I had some temp issues on my other laptop also under Mint. For that one i bought an external usb fan to blow air into the chasis of the laptop and this helps keep it in the safe 60-70 degrees C range, without it would hit 80 degrees easily, and sometimes in the summer hit the 90's, both temps i consider too hot.

Still on this current laptop this thread is about i have had catastrophic temp issues (along with the Nvidia driver issues and an intermittent boot/no GRUB displaying issue) under Mint.

These temp related problems did not happen under windows on either system, so what is Mint doing different here? How can i fix it so Mint manages the GPU fan safely? Are there system files i can edit to change the fans functions?

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Update 4:

Ok so there are three main problems it seems.

One: Intermittent boot issue. When it is going to boot up fine i see the GRUB menu and get the Linux Mint Logo when powering on the system. When it is not going to boot i see no GRUB and it hangs on a blank screen, sometimes with a blinking cursor in the top left of the screen, then the only option is to hard reset/shut down the laptop and try again.

Two: Intermittent dangerously high temps from the GPU. I've hit 106 degrees C one time. Fans kick in as soon as you exit the 'desktop' into the login screen.

Three: Using a non Nouveau driver for the Nvidia GPU always causes a total 'black screen' after 1 min or less.

So in light of these issues maybe a complete re-install of the system is a good next step? Any advice, suggestions, tips, clues would be welcome :)

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

It is remarkable that you have no posts here other than your own.
I can't add anything insightful to what you have already tried, but I did notice that you have a 64 bit CPU, so you don't need the 32 bit OS.
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU T8100 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8378.6
Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Ah thanks austin.texas, i did not know this was a 64bit machine. I had assumed from it being installed with Vista Family Home 32 bit previously (it's original shipped OS), and that is quite old, that it was a pure 32bit machine (like the laptop i'm posting my messages from, happily running Linux Mint 17.1 for a year or more now).

I suppose if i'm going to re-install Mint i could give a 64bit version a go and see if that fixes any of the above issues? I guess i would lean towards 17.3 perhaps, as this is a very old laptop and would rather avoid any of the new issues i see Mint 18 can have?

And to give credit deepakdeshp did offer some help after my first post :)

My actual next steps was going to be to try to get GRUB to appear every boot, so i was going to trawl around for info on commands to test and fix GRUB.

Then once i had that running better, i was planning on trying the Nvidia drivers again but doing that 'nomodeset' thing in the files (again i'd need to do more research into those steps) to try to stop the 'black screen' issue under Nvidia drivers for this machine (and others i have seen report the same problem).

Finally i was going to try real hard to find an end user solution to control the GPU fan, and this seems the hardest part of the puzzle that is this HP laptop under Mint. It might be that the above Nvidia solution might fix this issue at any rate, but seeing just how dangerously hot the 8800M gets under Mint some end user control over those GPU fans might be a good idea longterm? Psensor lets me monitor the temps, but is a pretty passive tool in what it can do about high temps.

Just need to know where to start and what other threads to follow to fix this laptop up as nice as the one i use every day. Once i have it working ok i will aim to post those steps here so others that might inherit this same model of laptop know what to expect and what they can do too :)

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Absolutely, I would try Mint 17.2 and 17.3 (both 64 bit). You can expect different performance from 17.2 and 17.3 because they have different xorg (graphics stack), so trying both is appropriate.
Cinnamon might be a bit much for that machine. I would try Mate.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

ZakGordon wrote:My actual next steps was going to be to try to get GRUB to appear every boot, so i was going to trawl around for info on commands to test and fix GRUB.
To force the Grub menu to appear when you only have one OS installed, open /etc/default/grub in your text editor.

gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
To make the menu display for 10 seconds, change the line:
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
to:
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10

Then you have to place a # in front of the line that says GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 - so that it looks like this:
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0

It is not always necessary to add the line:
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE="menu"
- but it wouldn't hurt anything.

After making any changes to /etc/default/grub you have to update Grub.

sudo update-grub
Linux Linx 2018
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

I solved the permissions issue, so the below is mostly moot

Cool, just what i was after. However i have this odd (i assume) issue that when i have that file open in gedit it won't let me actually 'edit' anything, as in no key presses register within the text. I assume this is a 'permissions' issue or something (maybe like having a text file set to 'read only' in Windows?), but can not find where i can set/change the permissions to let me edit that grub file?

I'm logged in as the main user (same password i have to use when running sudo in the console etc). When i right-click on the grub file and select 'properties' under the 'permissions' tab it says:

'You are not the owner, so you cannot change the permissions.'

And above that are various greyed out boxes for stuff like:

Owner: Root
Access: Read and Write

Group: Root
Access: Read Only

But as per that message above, i can not change anything here. How come i'm not the owner after i've logged on with my password (nice extra security (vs Windows) but i suspect this is a simple Linux thing i'm just not familiar with yet).

Edit: Aha i knew it had to be somewhere. Ok so i had to right-click on the 'etc' folder and select 'open as root' which gave me the password prompt and now i can edit that grub file fine and will put your advice into action :)

----------

Cinnamon 17.1 seems to run fine (as in not slow) on this hardware, and so i will probably keep to it if going the 64bit 17.2/17.3 version re-install root, or obviously stick with it if i can solve this laptops issues with the current installed 17.1 32bit version. I'm not anti 32 bits in particular, and this system seems maxed out at 3GB Ram (it must be a really old type and difficult to replace i suspect).

Edit: Ok cool that works perfectly. I now get the GRUB menu every boot! :) This is important for me while i take on the next task of dealing with those darn Nvidia drivers as i need to get into something usable (not a blank screen) to undo any errors and having the GRUB to hand every time is exactly what i want to help in that.

Also when booting in the 'recovery' mode the fans on the GPU work perfectly and it avoids the system over-heating while i'm doing stuff in the desktop environment. This is strange that the GPU fans work fine here but not under a normal boot.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

ZakGordon wrote: i had to right-click on the 'etc' folder and select 'open as root' which gave me the password prompt and now i can edit that grub file fine and will put your advice into action :)
Either that, or you could use the command I gave you:

gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
Linux Linx 2018
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

or that, yes...Doh! I had mistaken that for maybe being something to do after opening it! My use of the terminal is still pretty rare, and those old windows habits are stubborn. But thanks very much for your help here, it is making the rest of the trouble shooting much easier :)

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Edit:

I forgot to give the end result of this machine for this thread! Well it died, cooked to death by too many auto-shutdown due to heat issues, and my not watching the temps 100% of the time!

Mint Cinnamon just did not want the GPU fans to work under use while in the main logged in GUI. They only worked in the log-in/shutdown screen.

Return to “Hardware Support”