Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
huymog
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 18.1 Cinnamon Nemo does not show internal drives

Post by huymog »

I have used Mint since Mint 13. With all versions up until 18.1 (I have not used 18.0) have been have been able to see my internal drives and content from the as installed condition in the file manager, but in 18 I can only see the Mint home folders. I have two drives on my new laptop an SSD for Windows and an HDD for Linux Mint. My drives and are all working as I could access all my disk content from the file manager as installed when I tried Sparky Linux, and on Mint 18.1 Gparted finds all the relevant partitions . Curiously external USB drives show in Nemo. I want to continue to use Mint but it is of little value to me unless I can access my Windows files. I am disappointed and frustrated that I do not have this ability in 18, but would like to continue using Mint for familiarity and stability reasons.

Is this a cinnamon problem, should I try Mint Mate or XfcE versions?

Any help or tips appreciated.
huymog
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 18.1 Cinnamon Nemo does not show internal drives

Post by huymog »

From the OP

Interesting, when I download from the net I am offered a choice of where to save the file, and there are all my discs and files nicely listed, but once downloaded Nemo does not see them! I can save them to a disk and file which I can not then access - very frustrating.
huymog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by huymog »

Even more interesting. I have discovered that after I download from the net and save to one of the drives that Nemo did not see, Nemo now shows it. Strange behaviour. Why didn't Nemo show me these drives after installation, but only later after I used them to save a download?

Nemo is only showing one of the five partitions on the HDD, I'm hoping the same trick will work for them, and that the disks and partitions remain accessible from Nemo after reboot.
huymog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by huymog »

I've now rebooted and Nemo no longer shows my other drives.

Does anyone think there would be any point trying 18.1 Mate?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

You will get different behavior depending on if your partition that you want to use is mounted - and HOW you mounted it.
When you want to save a file, and click on the destination, that will mount the partition for you, if it is not already mounted.
You can also click on it in Nemo's sidebar to mount it.
To list your partitions, and to see which ones are mounted, and where they are mounted, run the command

Code: Select all

lsblk -f
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
huymog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by huymog »

I have loaded the XfcE desktop using the software manager and all my disks and partitions are shown and accessible in the Thunar file manager. I did not reboot, just loaded XfcE from cinnamon and logged out and back into the XfcE environment.

This looks like a Cinnamon/Nemo problem.

Thanks austin.texas for your reply. lsblk -f shows both my disks and all the partitions. I'm assuming the long line of letters and numbers is where they are mounted. All partitions have these. Nemo in cinnamon does not list the drives and partitions in the side bar so I can not click to mount. Nemo also does not show these disks and partitions when opened in XfcE in contrast to Thunar.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Thanks austin.texas for your reply. lsblk -f shows both my disks and all the partitions. I'm assuming the long line of letters and numbers is where they are mounted. All partitions have these. Nemo in cinnamon does not list the drives and partitions in the side bar so I can not click to mount.
I don't presume to know where autsin.texas was going with his request but the output would have shown if some of these partitions were mounted to /media/XYZ which would show up on the side panel of nemo or if they were mounted to ... say ... /mnt/XYZ which would not.
Nemo also does not show these disks and partitions when opened in XfcE in contrast to Thunar.
I have no idea what that means. XFCE is a desktop environment. Did you mean XFE the file manager?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
huymog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by huymog »

Thank you Altair 4

I did mean XfcE, the desktop environment which I loaded from the software manager. I did this because I tried loading Thunar only in cinnamon and it did not show correctly as it was missing the XfcE icons. Loading the whole XfcE desktop seemed the easiest way to ensure all the needed files were loaded. Thunar loads with the XfcE package in Mint's software manager.

I installed 18.1 cinnamon, and Nemo did not show my drives.
I installed the XfcE desktop from the software manager while in cinnamon.
I logged out of cinnamon and logged into XfcE.
I opened Thunar in XfcE, all my drives/partitions are present and accessible and thus accessible.
I opened Nemo in XfcE, the drives and partitions are missing from the side panel in Nemo and thus NOT accessible.
I ran lsblk -f which showed my SSD and HDD to be mounted (I saw it this time as the terminal window was not wide enough the first time). They are mounted to media, and this must apply for both Thunar and Nemo as both file managers were open at the same time.

Unless the solution for Nemo in cinnamon is trivial I will stick with XfcE and log into cinnamon occasionally to see if the problem gets resolved with updates.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

In Nemo, check Edit menu > Preferences > Behavior > Media Handling
behavior.jpg
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
eu2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by eu2 »

It may sound like a silly suggestion/question but have you (OP), tried via nemo clicking on go and selecting computer?

Just a wild guess as nemo isn't particularly intuitive as file managers go.
huymog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by huymog »

Thanks for your replies.

It now works, it seems it is those three tick boxes that are the secret. With first two I see the Windows SSD, and the NTFS formatted data partition on the HDD, with the third ticked, I see the other partitions (ext4) on the HDD. I am kicking myself I didn't find those controls, and happy the solution was trivial when you know how.

Now all I have to do is find how to mark this as solved!
Daisuke
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Daisuke »

I am running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2. Currently my version of Nemo is 4.2.2.
To get internal drives to show up in Nemo, I add the property x-gvfs-show to the comma-separated list of properties in the relevant line in /etc/fstab.
For example, one entry looks like this:

UUID=12345ABCD /share/data ntfs-3g uid=1000,gid=1000,relatime,permissions,x-gvfs-show,allow_other 0 0

This screenshot shows how Nemo displays these internal drives.
NemoShowsInternalDrives.png

Return to “Hardware Support”