Hard Drive/Mount Question......Can someone please verify this is normal?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jageorge72
Level 1
Level 1

Hard Drive/Mount Question......Can someone please verify this is normal?

Post by jageorge72 »

Hello all,

New to Linux, and I just built my first computer, 500Gb SSD drive only. No other operating systems planned, no extra partitions. I installed Linux Mint 18.1 by selecting the "Erase Disk and Install Linux Mint" option. Everything has seemed to go very well so far. I'm not done, but everything I have tested so far is working. I am in the process of putting all files from my old Mac Pro into their new home on my Linux machine. Right now, everything has been temporarily copied from an external drive, to a few folders sitting on my Desktop.

Now...... everything MAY be okay here...... but when I click Computer, I see 3 icons. My Asus optical drive, my Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500Gb drive, and "File System". Normally (coming from Windows or Mac) I would think I could double click that Samsung SSD and it open up as if it were my C:\ drive on Windows. But.....

A Double-Click gets me what you see in picture #1.
A Right-Click gets me picture #2.
A Right-Click on File System gets me what you see in pic #3.

I am able to double-click and go into File System/home/jageorge72/.... and see a bunch of folders for Desktop, Music, Documents, Downloads, etc.... Is THIS what I should consider to be the equivalent of my C:\ drive in Windows?

More importantly..... does everything look to be installed and set up correctly? Is this how it is supposed to function? If so, that's fine. But if I have a problem I'd like to address it now. Thanks for any help!

jageorge72
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Hard Drive/Mount Question......Can someone please verify this is normal?

Post by jageorge72 »

Also.....clicking "Menu" & searching for Disks turns up what you see in picture #4 here:

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

jageorge72 wrote:I am able to double-click and go into File System/home/jageorge72/.... and see a bunch of folders for Desktop, Music, Documents, Downloads, etc.... Is THIS what I should consider to be the equivalent of my C:\ drive in Windows?
Everything seems to be in order.
I would not say "equivalent" of C Drive, because linux is different. It is best to forget about Windows terminology.
The "File System" there represents the big 483GB partition where the operating system is installed, and also where your personal home is (on your system - not all linux systems). When you see the folders Desktop, Music, Documents, Downloads, etc.... you are looking at your home. The path is /home/yourusername.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

jageorge72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jageorge72 »

OK..... so not being able to double-click and open that Samsung SSD is normal? I didn't do anything crazy at all during the install. I just let it do its thing & create what it needed to create.

If that is how it is supposed to work, then I shall proceed. Thanks!

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 »

@jageorge72

You are not the first to ponder file system icon.
You are in the learning curve and you paused to ask a good question
before entering new territory--excellent move..
I predict you will do well with your new os.
Welcome aboard.

NoWinBob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NoWinBob »

I guess I'm not the only ex-windows confused person.It occurs to me that part of the confusion is because Mint looks a lot like windows,it is not.That sounds like good advice to forget Windows terminology.Keep in mind that doing a clean re-install is a piece of cake,and free,on Linux.You won't learn what the problem was that way,but you will get up and running quickly.

jageorge72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jageorge72 »

Thanks for the replies. I already put that disk mount thing out of my mind. It *seems* like an error, but if not then fine.... I won't lose sleep over it! :)

Currently working on importing all my music into Clementine. Tomorrow's project will be transferring Apple mailboxes into Thunderbird, and getting that set up. This new computer is lightning fast, and Mint has been great so far. Bye bye Windows and Mac OSX!

Return to “Hardware Support”