Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
zlochko
Level 1
Level 1

Installation of Genius i608 pen tablet

Post by zlochko » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:05 am

Hey everyone.
I'm trying to install Genius i608 pen tablet on my Mint 18 and I have no luck.
The drivers I'm using are from the digimend project (https://digimend.github.io) and I've tried both the .deb & the manual installation procedure.
In both cases everything with the installation seems ok, but the tablet refuses to show signs of life. Even the led indicator on the tablet it self lights up on laptop reboot, but once Mint starts to load it simply turns off.

lsusb gives me:

Code: Select all

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 8087:0a2b Intel Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05c8:03a2 Cheng Uei Precision Industry Co., Ltd (Foxlink) 
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 5543:0005 UC-Logic Technology Corp. Tablet WP8060U
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

So the device is listed, but I have no idea on how to continue with the investigation and find out what might be wrong.

Running xinput on the other hand gives me the following output:

Code: Select all

⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad              	id=12	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ A4TECH USB Device                       	id=14	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ A4TECH USB Device                       	id=15	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                               	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sleep Button                            	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ XiaoMi USB 2.0 Webcam                   	id=10	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=11	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Dell AIO WMI hotkeys                    	id=13	[slave  keyboard (3)]
Any step-by-step advises are deeply appreciated.

pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Installation of Genius i608 pen tablet

Post by pdc_2 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:58 pm

what I am curious about is where one starts for coherent instructions on these things: when I look at the Ubuntu guide https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TabletSetup this one is nearly three years old

here https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2216333 in post #8, it seems that with ubuntu 15.04 that the i608 (which has been around for five years) seemed to work out of the box; (we have a wacom and it just works on Mint 18.1 as it did on the Mint 17 series);

so I was looking at the issue from the point of view of a newcomer: ....... what should I do ..........

I admire all the work in the Digimend site: https://digimend.github.io/ but sadly I see the maintainer left 3 months ago: ..... trying to get a sense of what to install they do say you need linux-headers ....... have you got them installed? and they suggest the debian package; which you have installed

I see in the how-to the GIMP guide is taken from using your i608 "I have used Genius Mousepen i608X in the examples. This tablet comes with a mouse. You may notice that on the Configure Input Devices dialogue there is only one device, and that is the pen. Well, that was a bit of luck, actually. It could happen that, as you plug and unplug your device, only the mouse appears on this dialogue."

http://digimend.github.io/support/howto/apps/gimp/

I confess your description of what happens make me worry there is a hardware issue in the device: can you do the dreadful and find someone with a win computer where you can check it works ... your tablet is brand-new, is that correct?

zlochko
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zlochko » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:37 pm

Yes, doing my own research I too have stumbled upon those posts, and was also intrigued by the fact that the tablet behavior is strange. So I did plug it in a different laptop running Lubuntu (based on Ubuntu 16.04). And yes, both pen and mouse work out of the box.

Unlike on my own laptop, xinput there lists two devices:
UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U Pen &
UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U Mouse

Before that I also found out why the tablet led reacted only on laptop reboot - the battery in the pen turned out to bee old and probably empty. :))

So, since then I've removed the drivers I installed but even thou the tablet reacts on the pens proximity and me pushing the buttons, nothing happens on the screen. Back to square one. My Darktable is crying. :(

pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pdc_2 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:30 pm

"So I did plug it in a different laptop running Lubuntu (based on Ubuntu 16.04). And yes, both pen and mouse work out of the box"

so we don't know if you are running 32bit; ........ is this Mint 18 (as opposed to 18.1?)

so you could perhaps try other distros: eg Mate Ubuntu as a live usb and see if things are better there; and then perhaps add an install of what works

zlochko
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zlochko » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:27 pm

Yes of course, you are right.

Tablet is not working on Mint 18 64bit, kernel v4.4.0-59-generic
Tablet is working on different laptop with Lubuntu 16.04.2 32bit, kernel v4.4.0-63-generic

I've also took your suggestion and tried with a live distribution: Ubuntu Mate 16.04.2 64bit. Not working.

Thank you very much for your help so far. I would greatly appreciate if you or anyone else have any further suggestions on how to approach this problem.

liushiujen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by liushiujen » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:59 pm

1. Install xserver-xorg-input-evdev and xserver-xorg-input-wacom
2. Add the following to the end of /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-wacom.conf
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Tablet"
Driver "evdev"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
MatchUSBID "5543:*"