Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Need help partitioning a drive (Solved)

Post by ejazzkatt »

Hi,

I'm posting from my laptop where I have Qiana installed.

I have windows 10 on my desktop and I want to keep it. I had Kubuntu 14.04 installed and unfortunately, I tried to upgrade to 16.04 before I read the warning about doing that. Now Kubuntu won't boot so I've decided to install 16.04 but I don't know how to partition the drive.

Using the partition program on the live CD I got this information about the drive.

/dev/sda1 ntfs System
/dev/sda2 ntfs HP
/dev/sda3 Extended
/dev/sda5 Ext 4
/dev/sda6 Linux Swap
/dev/sda4 ntfs Factory

I need to keep the ntfs partitions and install Kubuntu on the rest of the drive using the Live CD.

Would someone please tell me how to how partition the drive so that I can install Kubuntu on it? Should I use the KDE partitioning software or Gparted? I'm not very familiar with using either of them so would you please what I should do?

Thank you?
Last edited by ejazzkatt on Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TooMuchTime
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Need help partitioning a drive

Post by TooMuchTime »

From what I can see of the existing partitions, your system is using UEFI boot, right?

/dev/sda1 ntfs System
/dev/sda2 ntfs HP
/dev/sda3 Extended
/dev/sda4 ntfs Factory
/dev/sda5 Ext 4
/dev/sda6 Linux Swap

You DO NOT want to remove any of the UEFI partitions. If you do, you'll have to reinstall Windows with the manufacturer's system build DVDs. The first thing you need to do is to read this tutorial:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126

Understanding how to dual boot Linux and Windows will be very helpful going forward.

MintyO
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MintyO »

I don't see how you could make the assumption about bios, as my old style bios win7 installation has "System" partition too. Except the precence of win10 in sorta, kinda way.

The simplest way to achieve what you want will probably wound up to be to install Mint to /dev/sda5 using "other" option in the installer. No need to to partition anything just mount it as / (root), 'cause you still have the old one. But first you need to find out which mode the win10 is installed, read some tutorial about dual-booting with that mode system and if the partitioning is something that you want/need to change, read at least something on the basic principles. I don't know the Kde-installer, I've always used Gparted for my partitioning.

But that's just a guesstimating without knowing more...
Ducks on the edge sleep with one eye open.

ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ejazzkatt »

This computer came with Windows 7 installed. I don't think it has UEFI. I couldn't find any Fat 32 partitions which is what one of the tutorials said that I should look for. Plus, as I mentioned, I have had Linux installed on the drive and I didn't deal with the issues you have to deal with when using UEFI.

MintyO
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MintyO »

ejazzkatt wrote:This computer came with Windows 7 installed. I don't think it has UEFI. I couldn't find any Fat 32 partitions which is what one of the tutorials said that I should look for. Plus, as I mentioned, I have had Linux installed on the drive and I didn't deal with the issues you have to deal with when using UEFI.
Okay, so it's basically what I suspected. Install Mint, using "other" option. Mount the ext4 partition as / and point grub to dev/sda. That is if you wish to follow one line instructions on the internet. If you wish to read up some, before and possibly think about separate partitions for /home etc, ... I believe this: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/dual ... buntu.html is one of the first things I read when I was starting with linux.

ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ejazzkatt »

Thanks, MintyO. I'm reading that information now.

ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ejazzkatt »

Thanks for your help. I successfully installed Kubuntu today.

MintyO
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Need help partitioning a drive (Solved)

Post by MintyO »

You're welcome. I just realized that you weren't talking about installing Mint but Kubuntu.. with this in mind, my posts seem like I'm trying to force/con you into installing Mint. :lol:

TooMuchTime
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TooMuchTime »

Thanks, MintyO. I was just going with what the OP said in his first post about Windows 10. That's why I asked about UEFI. Since it wasn't UEFI, it's good to hear he got Kubuntu installed successfully.

ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ejazzkatt »

MintyO I didn't think that. Your information helped me to install Kubuntu.

Return to “Hardware Support”