Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
longmonkey
Level 1
Level 1

Macbook trackpad stopped working after editing 60-synaptics.conf

Post by longmonkey » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:01 am

Hello there

I have an old white macbook as a dual boot with Snow Leopard and Linux Mint 17.3

To cut a long story short I accidentally upgraded to 18, changed my mind and did a fresh re-install of 17.3

Now.. I do remember having issues with the trackpad when I first installed Mint on this laptop a while ago but I cannot for the life of me remember the solution. Insitially, after the install the trackpad worked but was quite jerky and erratic. Editing settings in 60-synaptics.conf (as outlined in this blog post: http://uselessuseofcat.com/?p=74) solved that.. but then, after rebooting, the trackpad now does not work at all.

It works fine under OSX. I've googled until I'm blue in the typing-fingers but have yet to find a solution. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Macbook trackpad stopped working after editing 60-synaptics.conf

Post by Tomgin5 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:39 pm

I have converted 3 MacBook2.1 this last month (White ones 1181) I did not have the OSX. I loaded the 18.1 LM cinnamon 64 OS on the HDD in a Toshiba L305.
I then moved the HDD to the Macbook and continued with the LM updates and

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install linux-firmware
everything took fine, except the webcam. I gave all three away because I do not care for the keyboard. The new owners are thrilled at the response.

longmonkey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by longmonkey » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:36 am

Tomgin5 wrote:I have converted 3 MacBook2.1 this last month (White ones 1181) I did not have the OSX. I loaded the 18.1 LM cinnamon 64 OS on the HDD in a Toshiba L305.
I then moved the HDD to the Macbook and continued with the LM updates and

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install linux-firmware
everything took fine, except the webcam. I gave all three away because I do not care for the keyboard. The new owners are thrilled at the response.
Thanks for the reply. I installed linux firmware, rebooted, but it had no effect at all. The trackpad still does absolutely nothing. It works as expected under OSX and shows up if I enter xinput list..
Not sure what else to try..

TooMuchTime
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TooMuchTime » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:59 pm

Have you tried this? ubuntu-macbook-trackpad

Return to “Hardware Support”