Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Petermint
Level 4
Level 4

OLED low power options

Post by Petermint » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:10 am

OLED uses less power than LCD. OLED uses less power when displaying dark colours, something CRT used to do but LCD cannot do. Has anyone tested OLED with anything like the Mint dark themes?

An LCD backlight is on all the time. OLED saves power on a pixel by pixel basis. Changing just one pixel from a bright colour to a dark colour has an effect. The problem is measuring the effect on a laptop.

There was a project to switch CRTs from light themes to dark themes to save a small amount of overall power. OLED can produce savings of 60% for the total display device power. If that could be related to a significant increase in battery life, I would use a dark theme and make sure my next laptop is OLED.

Petermint
Level 4
Level 4

Re: OLED low power options

Post by Petermint » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:07 am

Linux Mint 19 is in beta testing. Several people report better support for dark themes in LM19. This could lead to more dark theme usage on OLED notebook computers. Definitely time for some research into power saving.

Some reports into device power usage show a 40% drop in power usage for a mostly black screen. Some reports say the screen uses 60% of total power. That means the screen usage drops from 60% to 20% when switched to a black background. A 5 hour battery would extend to 7 hours.

In my usage, I am almost always looking at an application, not the OS or Cinnamon screen. A dark theme would only save power if my most frequently used applications also switched to a dark theme. Has anyone tested common applications with dark themes? LibreOffice? Thunderbird?

Return to “Hardware Support”