USB broken, Over Current Condition

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sirducttape

USB broken, Over Current Condition

Post by Sirducttape »

I am running Linux mint dual booted with win 10 on a Dell latitude e6430s

Recently I updated the Linux kernel to the latest version available.

Once I did that, all my USB ports have been completely dead, and while booting up and shutting down, the screen is littered with the messages "hub 1-1:1.0: over-current condition on port 1" alternating with "hub 1-1:1.0: over-current condition on port 2".

dmesg is littered with the same lines repeating.

When I try and run lsusb it just freezes up with no output for about 30 minutes. It

This keeps looping on, except on a few occasions it has booted up, but the USB ports are still dead.

Also somthing of concern is that when I boot into Windows 10, USB also does not work. It was comprehensive functional in the past.

I have tried reverting back to the old kernel with no avail.

This is rendering my computer almost useless and I'm out of ideas.

Does anybody have any ideas that I should try?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Re: USB broken, Over Current Condition

Post by Neil Edmond »

Check all USB ports for physical damage. Sounds to me like one of the ports may have a short to ground.
chippywood
Level 2
Level 2

Re: USB broken, Over Current Condition

Post by chippywood »

I know this is an old thread, but to add relevant info if, like me, folk still find it..

I've just had the same issue, which turned out to be the USB cable and not the port. Yesterday it work, today not, and caused this error. Lesson: try another cable!

Return to “Hardware Support”