Ryzen Temperature report

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Extarys

Ryzen Temperature report

Post by Extarys »

Hi guys!

I got my hardware today for my Ryzen build, yay!

Mobo: Asus Crosshair VI Hero (firmware from march 13th)
CPU 1800X

I was wondering how can I monitor the temperatures under Linux mint? I updated the kernel to 4.10.4 for multi threading.
lmsensors doesnt pick anything. I was wondering if there is a good hardware information and monitoring tools for linux mint that could potentially show the info I'm looking for.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Ryzen Temperature report

Post by xenopeek »

As of yet AMD haven't made code or information available for how to access the CPU temperature sensors. Similarly that code or information is also not available yet for motherboards I've seen Linux tests for (on phoronix.com and others).
Extarys

Post by Extarys »

I understand.

I noticed my 1800X never goes over 3.6GHz even under full load for 25-30 minutes so I overclocked a little to 4.00GHz (+0.1v on CPU, CPU Core Ratio 40.00). I've got a Noctua NH-D15 and I'm affraid of over-heating even though this beast can manage some high temp. The fact that I cannot see the temperatures make me go crazy, I love to monitor my stuff..
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

As I understand it from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryzen#Summit_Ridge and articles about the architecture I've read, the boost speed (4.0 GHz) is available only when no more than 2 cores are active. E.g., giving it a workload enough for 3 or more cores will lock the CPU at the base speed (3.6 GHz). Similarly, XFR (which is disabled when you overclock) will increase speed above the boost speed if and only if the temperature allows for it. Basically these are measures to improve performance for one or two heavy tasks. XFR does so safely as it is tied to the CPU's temperature sensor.

You can likely read the temperatures in the BIOS? So run that full load for 25 minutes, reboot and access the BIOS to quickly look at the temperatures. But yes, you would want to monitor this actively with overclocking. Without adding external temperature sensors you can't just yet.

Return to “Hardware Support”