How to migrate a dual boot system

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JamesKB
Level 2
Level 2

How to migrate a dual boot system

Post by JamesKB »

I now have a dual boot system with a 1tb drive. Approximately 500gb for WIndows 10 and 500gb for Linux Mint. I have a new box with a 2tb hdd and I want to migrate my current system to it, i.e., 1tb for Windows and 1tb for Linux. Any ideas, suggestions on how to do this??

Thank you for your time.
--
JamesKB
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JamesKB
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How to migrate a dual boot system

Post by JamesKB »

Anyone out there have any tips??
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

I understand it's not what you want, but I would just move the 1TB HDD into the new rig, and use the entire 2GB HDD for storage that can be accessed by both operating systems.

Another option would be to make a disk image of the 1TB drive using Clonezilla (or similar), and then restore that image to the 2TB drive. You may have to expand the partitions on the new drive after the restore, I'm not sure. It's been quite a log time since I've done this. But I recall that restoring an image is much more flexible than a direct clone.
JamesKB
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JamesKB »

Thanks for the tip! :D

Return to “Hardware Support”