New kaby lake build. motherboard advice

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mark_1
Level 1
Level 1

New kaby lake build. motherboard advice

Post by Mark_1 »

Hi, after many years of running Linux on old hand-me-down machines I'm finally going to bite the bullet and build a new rig, primarily for audio work. Ardour, hydrogen etc.

The Z270 boards are all quite new so I don’t expect there is much direct experience yet, but on a general note are there any motherboard brands that are known to work well with Linux, or are there any particular features or issues I need to be aware of?

The plan is to run the Intel Core i5 7600K, S 1151, Kaby Lake, Quad Core, 4 at the base clock speed of 3.8GHz and disable turbo.

16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance

There are a few new Z270 boards out now and the ones I’ve been looking at are

ASUS ROG Strix Z270I Gaming.

ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac
MSI Z270I GAMING PRO CARBON AC, Intel Z270
Gigabyte Z270N-Gaming 5

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Citizen229

Re: New kaby lake build. motherboard advice

Post by Citizen229 »

Are you a dedicated intel person? AMD's new ryzen line is very impressive. Their 4 and 6 core chips are due for release on 4/11. If you swing either way wait for those chips to be released and some benchmarking to be done. If you are a strict Intel guy, wait it out. The worst thing that can happen in Intel does price cuts. No matter what you buy patience will prevail for you at this time.
Mark_1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mark_1 »

I guess I’m an intel guy because they have generally worked well for me in the past, but fair point, unfortunately I can’t afford to wait, not least because the pilot light keeps going out in this old PC!
I noticed that the price for that CPU went down for a few days after the Ryzen release but is now back up to where it was before. I think the exchange rate for the £ isn’t helping.
mbod

Post by mbod »

Hello Mark_1,

I switched to a Kaby Lake in February: MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON with i7-7700K and DDR4 8GB 3200-16 Ripjaws

I changed the motherboard and CPU on an existing Mint installation. Works like a charm. The only thing I did extra was the installation of kernel 4.9 from backports before changing the HW.

Matthias

PS
I have to add that I am using LMDE

Return to “Hardware Support”