Sound Boots Incorrectly Sometimes [SOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Sound Boots Incorrectly Sometimes [SOLVED]

Post by rgand »

I recently installed Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64-bit on my wife's computer. She has kept up with updates and is now running cinnamon v3.2.7 and Linux kernel 4.4.0-72 generic.

Her system: Intel i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz x 4, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GM107 (GeForce GTX 750) on a 250GB SSD with a 1TB SSHD storage drive. She is running three screens, one of which she has chosen for her sound because it has better speakers in it than the others.

The problem is that sometimes (not always) when she boots up, her sound is inop and she has to go into her sound settings to change the settings back to what they should be. Right now, it's a grab bag whether it boots correctly or changes the settings from 'HDMI/DisplayPort2 HDA NVidia' (what she wants) to the 'Digital Output (S/PDIF) Built-in Audio' (what the OS seems to want). Attached is a screen shot of what she sees when she boots and it's incorrect. When the sound is changed to the incorrect setting she has no sound at all, I suspect because she doesn't have external speakers. Also sometimes (but not always) when she changes to the correct setting, the volume is also set incorrectly to 0%. How do I set her system to remember the sound settings permanently?

Any help with this issue would be much appreciated. Thanks, RG
MIncorrect.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Smile, it makes people wonder what you've been up to.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Sound Boots Incorrectly Sometimes

Post by rgand »

Due to another issue, I installed Mint Cinnamon 17.3 over the 18.1 installation. That took care of all the issues, including this one with the sound problem.

Anyone with such problems may need to go back to 17.3 until there's an 18.2 that may have some things worked out.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Sound Boots Incorrectly Sometimes [SOLVED]

Post by rgand »

My wife has three monitors going all the time. Now that I've installed 17.3 over 18.1, the sound boot problem is still there but the other problems she was having have disappeared. Are you running your computers with multiple monitors? Perhaps the problem is when more than one monitor is going.

On my laptop, I have an extra monitor but this problem doesn't happen.

There is a basic difference between my setup and hers. On mine, I have external speakers plugged into the sound output jack. She uses one of her monitors (with internal speakers) to carry her sound. I'd plug mine into her computer to test it, but the speaker wires are strung through my desk and not easy to get out.

On my computer, I have a command (numlockx) in the Startup Applications that turns my numlock on 5 seconds after bootup. I don't know enough about the commands to figure this out but is there a command that can be put into the Startup Applications that would switch the speakers to be correct with the same or more delay, possibly even 20 seconds? If it can be done, that would take care of the issue.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

mrjohnbates wrote:Interesting. We do run some of them with multiple monitors, but always only for a few days and the problem doesn't seem to go away with them when we go back to 1 screen (or the main screen in the case of the laptops). Regardless, the computers that we never have multiple monitors on all do it as well so I doubt that is it. The only problems I've ever seen with using multiple monitors on Linux Mint 18.1 are some minor graphics glitches in some of the older Windows games that we run in Wine.

I should add that this problem does NOT occur with any of our computers when we do not have anything plugged into the standard headphone jacks (at least not on the laptops). We have several Logitech speaker setups that are plugged into the standard audio output jacks. When we just use the laptop speakers on the laptops, this never occurs.

With regards to your question in the last paragraph, there's got to be some way of writing a script to put the speakers on a delay, as simple as it is a solution, it's a good idea, I hadn't thought about it. I'll look into it and post a script here if I manage to do it.
Thanks for the reply.

My laptop with Cinnamon 17.3 is bullet proof. No problems, no glitches. It just runs. No upgrading will happen on that one until support runs out for that version. Hers, on the other hand, is quirky in the sound drivers.

I look forward to hearing if you find a script to run. That might do wonders.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

Thanks for the update on your experiences. Since my last post, I upgraded two laptops to 18.2 and did a fresh install of it as a second boot on one. So far, those are really flawless installations. Of the installations, I like the fresh install best but only because it is clean and free of any older files. They all work well. If you go for 18.3, post back how that works out. I may be tempted to do that myself.

I haven't done much with my wife's laptop since she rarely uses it. It only does the sound errors sometimes on boot and once corrected, it works fine after that. I'll probably just do a fresh install on that if it looks like she's going to start using it again.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

Thanks for the update on your experiences. Since my last post, I upgraded two laptops to 18.2 and did a fresh install of it as a second boot on one. So far, those are really flawless installations. Of the installations, I like the fresh install best but only because it is clean and free of any older files. They all work well. If you go for 18.3, post back how that works out. I may be tempted to do that myself.

I haven't done much with my wife's laptop since she rarely uses it. It only does the sound errors sometimes on boot and once corrected, it works fine after that. I'll probably just do a fresh install on that if it looks like she's going to start using it again.

Return to “Hardware Support”