Graphic Pen Tablet

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sztolarsik
Level 2
Level 2

Graphic Pen Tablet

Post by Sztolarsik »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a graphic pen tablet that will work well under Linux Mint 18? I noticed that Wacom does not provide any Linux drivers. Is Xserver-xorg-input-wacom pretty reliable? Are there any graphic pen tablet companies that are more Linux friendly?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ArtGirl

Re: Graphic Pen Tablet

Post by ArtGirl »

Hi, I've just come over to Linux Mint 18, and am using the Ugee 2150. I mirror my main monitor and the Ugee, and Krita (and mypaint etc) work perfectly, for both calibration and pressure. I can't configure things, but to have the Ugee automatically seen, and that it just works, is wonderful. The Ugee does the same as a Cintiq, but without extra buttons/remotes, plus lighter, a lot cheaper, and includes a really good stand and kit eg screen protector, glove, spare pen and nibs, charging cable (pen lasts about a month, and very quick to charge). The colours/sharpness seem better even than my main monitor. This video certainly helped me decide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH2LmJG8tKI. And, http://ugee.net/goods/57.html
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

delighted to have ArtGirl on the forum commenting on tablets and as a real user, someone we can look to; many thanks for your very welcome contributions; great to have them;

Hi Sztolarsik; welcome to the forums; we have a Wacom tablet from a couple of years ago; it needs to get more exercise! They just get recognised automatically in Mint (ie all of linux); to configure it, Mate sadly does not offer a config icon; the other desktops seem to; ........ so Cinnamon is fine: Gnome too and KDE; I understand the developer(s) of Mint are working on improved Wacom offerings for the next long-term Mint .... that will next year I guess .. so maybe Mate will finally get a gui for a tablet

...... so Wacom have been "out of the box" .... Ugee and Huion seem to all be supported in the newer kernels similarly ...... I think the digimend drivers went into 4.8?? but I could well be wrong and happy to be corrected; so if one were to move from the 4.4 kernel to even the 4.10 (which has been fine for us ..) that might help you; when you have decided what tablet you would like; and investigated which kernel its support is built into ............. if I say x-pen seem to be much trickier and not "OOtB" .. there was a suggestion the company would work on linux support; you can find posts on the Ubuntu forums about x-pen issues
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

pdc_2 wrote:delighted to have ArtGirl on the forum commenting on tablets and as a real user, someone we can look to; many thanks for your very welcome contributions; great to have them;

Hi Sztolarsik; welcome to the forums; we have a Wacom tablet from a couple of years ago; it needs to get more exercise! They just get recognised automatically in Mint (ie all of linux); to configure it, Mate sadly does not offer a config icon; the other desktops seem to; ........ so Cinnamon is fine: Gnome too and KDE; I understand the developer(s) of Mint are working on improved Wacom offerings for the next long-term Mint .... that will next year I guess .. so maybe Mate will finally get a gui for a tablet

...... so Wacom have been "out of the box" .... Ugee and Huion seem to all be supported in the newer kernels similarly ...... I think the digimend drivers went into 4.8?? but I could well be wrong and happy to be corrected; so if one were to move from the 4.4 kernel to even the 4.10 (which has been fine for us ..) that might help you; when you have decided what tablet you would like; and investigated which kernel its support is built into ............. if I say x-pen seem to be much trickier and not "OOtB" .. there was a suggestion the company would work on linux support; you can find posts on the Ubuntu forums about x-pen issues
Thank you very much indeed, pdc_2. Very kind of you to say, and I am more than glad to help. A massive thank you that Mint exists and is so great to use. :D
yuandi

Post by yuandi »

I am using an XP-Pen Deco 01 ( https://www.xp-pen.com/product/84.html ) graphic pen tablet which does have official linux drivers . it works great in Linux. I've been using it for sculpting in blender for awhile and never had any problems!

also you can have a look at xp-pen star 03 / Star G430S/ Star G640 , I heard this three type also works well with linux .

Return to “Hardware Support”