Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Ah_le_x
Level 1
Level 1

linux mint overheating laptop fan intermittent

Postby Ah_le_x » Wed May 24, 2017 7:30 pm

Hello,

I just installed Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1 on my son's laptop. Most of the distro is fantastic. My exception is the CPU fan never started.

I've tryed to read forum and found (and try) many possibilities. Here's a summary:

1. Install PSensor to monitor temp: confirmed that the CPU Core 0 and 1 overheat and the laptop shutdown
2. With dual partition, in windows, the fan start (so it is still working)
3. The sensor temp1 give me a temperature of zero most of the time.
4, I openned the laptop and make sure it's clean inside (I confirm it is)
5. I've tryed to update the drivers with a command found on a forum, didn't work.
6. I've tryed to find a command to start the fan manually, but didn't succeed. Since then, sometime, the fan start... but randomly. ^
7. I also tryed to run TLP, does solve the overheat shutdown.

Questions: does anyone has other idea to try on how to start the fan manually or configure it to start all the time?

Thank you very much for your help!!!

Ah_le_x
Level 1
Level 1

Re: linux mint overheating laptop fan intermittent

Postby Ah_le_x » Wed May 24, 2017 8:38 pm

Additional details:

inxi -Fxz
System: Host: malino-lap Kernel: 4.4.0-53-generic i686 (32 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: MATE 1.16.1 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.1)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Machine: System: Acer (portable) product: Aspire 7720 v: V1.19
Mobo: Acer model: Poyang v: V1.19 Bios: Acer v: V1.19 date: 10/15/2007
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo T5250 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 5985
clock speeds: max: 1500 MHz 1: 1000 MHz 2: 1000 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary)
bus-ID: 00:02.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1440x900@59.90hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2
GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-53-generic
Network: Card-1: Broadcom NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
driver: tg3 v: 3.137 bus-ID: 05:00.0
IF: enp5s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
driver: iwl3945 v: in-tree:s bus-ID: 06:00.0
IF: wlp6s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (3.2% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD2500BEVS size: 250.1GB temp: 42C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 46G used: 5.6G (13%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.14GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 67.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 180 Uptime: 1:23 Memory: 473.8/2004.4MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.461) inxi: 2.2.35

Ah_le_x
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ah_le_x » Wed May 24, 2017 9:13 pm

Additional info

Code: Select all

fwts fan

Running 1 tests, results appended to results.log
Test: Simple fan tests.
Test fan status. 3 passed
Load system, check CPU fan status.

I should add this laptop is a Acer Aspire7720-6374

Code: Select all

sensors

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +0.0°C (crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0: +63.0°C (high = +85.0°C, crit = +85.0°C)
Core 1: +64.0°C (high = +85.0°C, crit = +85.0°C)

ZakGordon
Level 4
Level 4

Postby ZakGordon » Thu May 25, 2017 12:20 pm

What are the max temps you are seeing under use?

I ask as the temps in your readouts so far range from 62-67 degrees C, and are not super high (if on the warm side). +80 and you do have a specific problem.

I have two different laptops, one with an on-board GPU and one with a discrete one. Both run hot in Linux Mint vs Windows and my best solution so far has been to use an extra external usb fan to blow more air into the chasis of the laptops, it's pretty vital over summer.

One trick that seems to work is when you notice the heat build up, log out into the main login screen and listen for the CPU fan start to go. IF it does that, then let it work for a few mins and log back in and mostly you should find the CPU fan works as it should.

Ah_le_x
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ah_le_x » Sat May 27, 2017 11:02 am

What are the max temps you are seeing under use?
Just before the shutdown overheating, it goes to 80-85 deg C

I ask as the temps in your readouts so far range from 62-67 degrees C, and are not super high (if on the warm side). +80 and you do have a specific problem.
It's because I tried to keep the usage at minimum, otherwise it shutdow. Minecraft make it shutdown each time

I have two different laptops, one with an on-board GPU and one with a discrete one. Both run hot in Linux Mint vs Windows and my best solution so far has been to use an extra external usb fan to blow more air into the chasis of the laptops, it's pretty vital over summer.
In my case, the CPU fan doesn't start, even if the temperature rise over 80

One trick that seems to work is when you notice the heat build up, log out into the main login screen and listen for the CPU fan start to go. IF it does that, then let it work for a few mins and log back in and mostly you should find the CPU fan works as it should.
The fan started once with Mint, but I'm not sure how I did it. It seems the virtual sensor start with a random temperature that stay fix. If the randow temp is high enough, the fan start. But i'm not sure about that since the fan started only once (and the Temp1 virtural sensor was at a higher temperature this time

ZakGordon
Level 4
Level 4

Postby ZakGordon » Tue May 30, 2017 9:23 am

ok, well you can use Psensor to give you alerts when it hits certain temps. I have mine to do that at 80 degrees C. It won't start any fans or anything like that, it is just a monitoring tool.

Once i get an alert i do as i mentioned before. I quit what i'm doing and 'Log Out' from the system which takes you to the 'login menu' (where you usually put your password in to 'log in'). Once i am in the 'login menu' screen i hear the CPU fan start up (where it was not before). I leave that running for a minute or two to reduce the CPU temps, then log back in and carry on using the laptop. 90% of the time doing this process once is enough to have the laptop CPU fans function as they should (start whirring around +60 degrees C etc).

The odd time this process does not get that desired result i simply do it again once i get the over-heating alert from PSensor; 'Log Out', wait for a bit, log back in.

I have no idea why i get this problem in Mint (the laptop is a dual-boot with Vista, and does not overheat under Vista (so it is not a hardware fault)), but it happens and i have to use this method to help correct the issue.

I mention i also blow extra air into the laptop case (especially during summer time), it will depend on the type of laptop you have and where you can create a gap to be able to blow air into the case, but you can get fairly cheap Artic Cooler external USB fans that have a cable, and can position that to blow air into any gap in the case you can exploit.

For example on this laptop i had a little SSD slot that had a plastic cover i could flip off, and on another laptop i use the open DVD tray to blow extra air into the case.

lmintnewb2

Postby lmintnewb2 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Could check out this and similar resources available online. The Mint and Ubuntu wiki's would likely be good prospects. Really haven't had similar issues so never encountered this and obviously can't give any better insights.

Ah_le_x
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ah_le_x » Wed May 31, 2017 5:32 pm

Thanks Zakgordon.

I really have a similar situation than yours. Except that I confirmed that when the fan start in Linux Mint, my overheating problem are solved. Only once, the fan started (and I think the virtual sensor initialized at a random high temp value... but not sure) and this time allowed me to test the CPU overheating. I started many apps and Minecraft and the laptop never overheated this time... but only this time.

So I'm conviced it's a software problem, but need to find the solution.

Also, I have vista installed and the fan start in vista

Ah_le_x
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ah_le_x » Wed May 31, 2017 5:38 pm

lmintnewb2 wrote:Could check out this and similar resources available online. The Mint and Ubuntu wiki's would likely be good prospects. Really haven't had similar issues so never encountered this and obviously can't give any better insights.

Thanks lmintnewb2, I've already tryed some of the suggestion at the link you gave. But I will go through it again. My laptop doesn't work with the PWM control. I will look if we can use lm-sensors without PWM (like ON/OFF mode at a CPU temp with no PWM ). If someone sees a post with this type of configuration please point it out to me... I've looked but didn't found the right command yet.

lmintnewb2

Postby lmintnewb2 » Wed May 31, 2017 5:59 pm

Mentioned haven't had to deal with the headache you're experiencing. The temp sensors and fan etc worked ootb on systems I've had. The laptop I have now has a setting to "always" run the fan in it's uefi/bios and I've got it set there.

Not very helpful but looks like you'll have to do some further digging into lm-sensors and it's documentation around the webz. The package called "fancontrol" looks like something to explore further. Or perhaps what alternatives for it are available ?

Anyway see stuff like this and that, looked to be some potentially hopeful things you can explore.

Good luck.

Ah_le_x
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ah_le_x » Wed May 31, 2017 7:21 pm

The link Fan speed control https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/fan_speed_control, seems to be for PWM control. My laptop has no PWM...

I've tryed to run
sudo sensors-detect
. At the end, the coretemp is added to /etc/module. When I run sensors, I see coretemp-isa-0000... I'm not sure what should I see there.

Ah_le_x
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ah_le_x » Wed May 31, 2017 7:27 pm

The more I read about it, I really start to wonder how come the Virtual device temp1 (in red below when running sensors) never change...

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +0.0°C (crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0: +63.0°C (high = +85.0°C, crit = +85.0°C)
Core 1: +64.0°C (high = +85.0°C, crit = +85.0°C)

Ah_le_x
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ah_le_x » Wed May 31, 2017 7:32 pm

just tried pwmconfig again and the message is There is no pwm-capable sensor modules installed.

ZakGordon
Level 4
Level 4

Postby ZakGordon » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:20 am

I started to go down the same route you are trying. I gave up and just developed the method i posted about above. I was never able to find a software solution in Linux to fully be able to control CPU and GPU fans. It is easy under windows (numerous utilities can do it), but there just does not seem to be any mature software under Linux for this (that is as easy to use as it should be).

Good luck with your quest and i'll keep an eye on this thread just in case you find a solution.

Ah_le_x
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ah_le_x » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:33 am

Ok... I have found a workaround that may give some clues on the problem.

1. The problem is linked to the temp1 sensor. It is initialized with a value (generally 0 degC) and stay at that value.
2. If the laptop is cold, temp1 is initialized at a low value.
3. When the Core 0 and Core1 are near 80 deg C, I do a restart.
4. Then the temp1 is re-initialized to a higher value (like 71 deg C) and will stay at that temperature. When temp1 is initialized at a high temperature, the fan will stay on.

This is my workaround. Now here's my questions:

1. How can I change the value of temp1 (which control the fan) to be dynamically update according to Core 0 and/or Core 1? I think if this is feasible, it would solve the problem.

Thanks for your help and reading of this post.

Return to “Hardware Support”