Mint 18.1 overheat. Problem with dual graphics?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
redoc

Mint 18.1 overheat. Problem with dual graphics?

Post by redoc »

Hello,

I have recently installed Linux mint 18.1 and liking it so far but I cannot seem to solve the heat problem. I suspect the problem is with the graphics card(s). I have two of them: intel 3rd Gen and nvidia GF108M (GeForce GT 635M). My laptop is Asus k56cm. I am dual booting with windows 10 and I also have ubuntu 16 (either .04 or .10).

"Psensor temperature monitor" gives the following values for the following sensors: temp1 = 74; physical id 0 = 74; core 0 = 74 core 1 = 71; cpu_fan=3900 rpm; cpu usage = 9%; free memory 32%; samsung SSD = 43 celcius.

I have tried various things from various forums like using bumblebee, or nvidia Prime or both, various configurations.. lots of trial and error, no luck so I figured I need to start fresh, troubleshoot properly and understand where the problem is, but I do not know Linux well so I really need some help, please? What should I aim for - bumblebee or prime or something else??

Also, if this helps, below is an extract from the log file in /var/log/xorg.log which does not seem right:

Code: Select all

[     7.626] 	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 20.0
[     7.626] (==) Matched intel as autoconfigured driver 0
[     7.626] (==) Matched nvidia as autoconfigured driver 1
[     7.626] (==) Matched nouveau as autoconfigured driver 2
[     7.626] (==) Matched intel as autoconfigured driver 3
[     7.626] (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 4
[     7.626] (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 5
[     7.626] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 6
[     7.626] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
[     7.626] (II) LoadModule: "intel"
[     7.626] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
[     7.626] (II) Module intel: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[     7.626] 	compiled for 1.18.4, module version = 2.99.917
[     7.626] 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[     7.626] 	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 20.0
[     7.626] (II) UnloadModule: "intel"
[     7.626] (II) Unloading intel
[     7.626] (II) Failed to load module "intel" (already loaded, 21895)
[     7.626] (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
[     7.627] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module nvidia
[     7.627] (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
[     7.627] (II) Unloading nvidia
[     7.627] (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist, 0)
[     7.627] (II) LoadModule: "nouveau"
[     7.627] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module nouveau
[     7.627] (II) UnloadModule: "nouveau"
[     7.627] (II) Unloading nouveau
[     7.627] (EE) Failed to load module "nouveau" (module does not exist, 0)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tartanspartan01

Re: Mint 18.1 overheat. Problem with dual graphics?

Post by Tartanspartan01 »

hi there, im very new to mint, but if i were to take a guess based on my own limited experience i think you might have a similar problem to me, ive since discovered a workaround/hack , my problem is my laptop has a discrete gpu and an integrated gpu, both amd , i would experience intermittent freezing for roughly a second long every 7 seconds, not always but was seemingly random, ive since figured out why, i wasnt overheating but i did just apply new paste to the chips and im not doing anything intensive beyond youtube atm on it. what i would advise you can try without any risk of causing harm at all is create a live mint 18.1 xfce usb stick , if when it loads you have the display settings menu repeatedly pop up, that may indicate that the os some way or another 'cant decide' between what gpu to use, this for me was what alerted me to my problem. from my limited understanding looking at your code, and knowing you have 2 gpus i suspect this is whats happening. it might be a good idea to see if you have the intel graphics disabled in bios, that way it may be prevented from causing problems, theres also a vgaswitcheroo command that can switch between gpus, i suspect if that is something that can help you it would be more successful for you than it was for me, theres a way you can set that up to initiate on every restart i believe to but i dont know the way to do this and so can only suggest a general idea. so my guess is not so much a driver issue but that basically they are being re-recognized one after the other over and over again, but id be curious to see if the display settings reacts the same way on a live usb xfce edition , as mine did, the menu wont show on mate or cinnamon, never tried kde. if it doesnt id still try and 'double check' by loading an app that would typically use a gpu of present, whenever i loaded cheese it triggered everytime for example. anyway just my nooby ideas, if it doesnt help you maybe someone else browsing benefits from this.

hope this helps in someway, good luck

Return to “Hardware Support”