Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MichaelJohn
Level 4
Level 4

Testing Internal USB Hub

Post by MichaelJohn »

One project uses an external USB hub connected to between four and nine sensors with USB connectivity. We used to have numerous USB errors that were eventually traced to the external USB hub. Upgrading these to a better quality hub (there is a lot of carp for sale out there) solved the problem. Now though I think I have an internal USB hub problem on a DELL Vostro 1015 the external hub and sensors work correctly on another laptop whereas those from the other laptop do not work on the original laptop.

Is there a way I can test the internal USB hub (preferably with repeated accesses) under Mint 17.3? Everything I have found on the web refers to Windowz operating systems! :(

simonsaysthis
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Testing Internal USB Hub

Post by simonsaysthis »

Not sure if I am fully following the issue. Are the USB ports not working at all or is it just the hub that's not working?

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Testing Internal USB Hub

Post by jimallyn »

How much current do the sensors draw? A USB port is supposed to be able to provide a half amp. Could the sensors draw more than that? That can cause problems.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Hardware Support”