[Solved]Mint 18.1 - Cinnamon just crashed. You are currently running in Fallback Mode

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ioannis

[Solved]Mint 18.1 - Cinnamon just crashed. You are currently running in Fallback Mode

Post by ioannis »

Hello,

I'm trying to get Linux Mint 18.1 to work on my Asus N552VX laptop. The issue is that whenever I try to install the nvidia proprietary drivers, after the reboot, I receive the following error:
"Cinnamon just crashed. You are currently running in Fallback Mode. Do you want to restart Cinnamon?"
If I press Yes to restart cinnamon, it keeps displaying the message.
When I switch back to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau display driver, cinnamon doesn't crash anymore but I always have to start it with acpi=off and nomodeprobe as it freezes during startup (at the logo).
Here is the output of inxi -Gx

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Skylake Integrated Graphics bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 950M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia,nouveau,intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.02hz
           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A
Could you please advise?

Thank you!

LE: You can mark this as solved. It seems that after I ran the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo prime-select intel
Cinnamon didn't crash anymore. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint 18.1 - Cinnamon just crashed. You are currently running in Fallback Mode

Post by Flemur »

ioannis wrote:LE: You can mark this as solved.
Hi - thanks for posting the solution! But you're supposed to mark it "solved" - by editing the title of your first post (yes, it's a bit awkward and not obvious).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
ioannis

Re: [Solved]Mint 18.1 - Cinnamon just crashed. You are currently running in Fallback Mode

Post by ioannis »

Thank you for your remarks! I edited the post accordingly.

Return to “Hardware Support”