I just bought an Alienware 15 R3. It's got a lot of LEDs. Will they work when I make this a Linux machine?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
James_Smith
Level 4
Level 4

I just bought an Alienware 15 R3. It's got a lot of LEDs. Will they work when I make this a Linux machine?

Post by James_Smith »

I haven't received it yet, but I know a lot about it. It has a lot of LEDs for aesthetic reasons. Of course, I'm going to convert it to a Linux Mint computer as soon as I get it. I am pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I thought I'd ask it anyway.

All of these LEDs are customizable (i.e., you can change the colors of them individually) with the stock Windows 10 OS, but I seriously doubt if they will work with LM.

Or am I wrong?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I have been using Linux for years and I am still a newbie
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: I just bought an Alienware 15 R3. It's got a lot of LEDs. Will they work when I make this a Linux machine?

Post by Moem »

Honestly, I haven't the foggiest. But you should be able to find out by running Mint from a USB stick or DVD.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
James_Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I just bought an Alienware 15 R3. It's got a lot of LEDs. Will they work when I make this a Linux machine?

Post by James_Smith »

Moem wrote:Honestly, I haven't the foggiest. But you should be able to find out by running Mint from a USB stick or DVD.
I'm immediately going to install LM18.1 when I get it. It's not a deal breaker for me. I don't really care if the LEDs are configurable or not, but it would be nice if they worked.
Last edited by James_Smith on Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
trapperjohn

Post by trapperjohn »

On my Alienware 17 the leds are on by default. They are blue. Never thought they could change color... never tried.

It came with a Win 7 native install, so I promptly removed the drive, put it in a put it in a drawer somewhere around here, and installed Linux (Arch in this case) to a fresh drive. Now that you brought this up I'll probably stuff the old drive in bay 2, create a duel boot, boot windows, and see if I can tweak the lights.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

They should power on by default. And if they are RGB rotating colors it should work as well. Fairly certain RGB is controlled by the MB and not the OS.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "James_Smith",

Would this help at all?

Alienware-KBL, a software to control the lights of alienware computers under GNU-Linux systems. click the link in this regarding the "functional stable branch" and read that too...
https://github.com/rsm-gh/alienware-kbl

Control AlienFX lighting on Alienware Aurora computers running Linux
https://github.com/erlkonig/alienfx

Simple Qt program for changing the colors on Alienware 17
https://github.com/acyed/qtFx

Read this - Alienware 13
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Alienware_13
Alienware 15
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Alienware_15
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
shx

Post by shx »

Hello,

I have an Alienware 17 R3, and it is possible to control the leds although the interface is less friendly than W$.
Have a look at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=225433 for how I did it.

I supposed it should be the same on the 15 but no promise.

Enjoy your machine
James_Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James_Smith »

shx wrote:Hello,

I have an Alienware 17 R3, and it is possible to control the leds although the interface is less friendly than W$.
Have a look at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=225433 for how I did it.

I supposed it should be the same on the 15 but no promise.

Enjoy your machine
Thank you very much. I followed one of the links above your post and got into a situation in which I was 'building' an app (something of which I am totally ignorant) and I gave up. I was going to give it a try again later when I got the notification that you posted here.

I'll try your solution later on today and let you know how it went.

Return to “Hardware Support”