Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Lartizan
Level 1
Level 1

Changing CPU to a newer model.

Post by Lartizan »

Hi a quick question about changing my CPU.
Yesterday I flashed my BIOS with the idea of upgrading my CPU but that didn't turn out very well : I couldn't boot to my Linux Mint 18.1 XCFE install at all so I had to reinstall the OS (fortunately I had some scripts and it did not take too long but all the wine manipulations had to be done manually). At first I thought it was a boot order problem but it was not.
So I am wondering : do I have to expect a boot problem after changing my CPU ?
I have googled that but couldn't find any related user experience...
The hardware issue has been looked for. Motherboard supports both CPUs with this newest BIOS version. RAM is compatible.
My question is really about Linux booting with the new CPU installed. Can the OS adapt to a new CPU ?
Any thought ? Similar experience ?
Best regards.
acerimusdux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Changing CPU to a newer model.

Post by acerimusdux »

Don't think it should matter to the OS, now that the bios has already been updated. The new CPU on the same platform should support the instruction set of the old CPU completely.

The one thing I would check though, is if you are using CPU integrated graphics. That's one area where I can see a potential problem, as you are essentially changing the graphics adaptor then, and have to make sure the drivers for the new one are loading. It might require exactly the same driver, but if it's a very new CPU I would check that it is already fully supported.
Lartizan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lartizan »

Hi and thanx alot for your reply.
I want to update from a Phenom II x4 960T to a FX8350 so nope, no integrated graphics here.
Regards.
Jim Hauser
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jim Hauser »

Mint KDE booted fine after I went with the FX 8350. Your biggest concern might be cooling the CPU.

Do a good backup and clean the dust from your box before switching.

Jim
Lartizan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lartizan »

Hi Jim, thanks a lot for the reply.
Did you have the bundled version with the Wraith Cooler ? I wonder how does this cooler perform, I've got an Artic Freezer 7 pro at the moment, I might as well keep it ? Anyway, most of the time my case is open ! :mrgreen:
When you say backup, what are you thinking about. I did some googling about backup, and I stumbled across several softwares and also the manual method (tar backup of home directory), I wonder which method is the safest.
Regards.
Jim Hauser
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jim Hauser »

The Artic Freezer 7 pro looks like an over sized heat sink/fan combination and you might as well try it since you already have it.

With a stock cooler heat sink/fan on my system it ran up to 160 F (71 C) with all eight cores at 100%.
With a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO heat sink/fan it ran up to 140 F (60 C) fully loaded.
With a Corsair H 100i v2 water cooled it maxes out at 130 F (54 C) fully loaded.

Your cooler looks very similar to the Hyper 212 but there is no way to know for sure how it will perform without trying it in your box. Water cooling may not work in your box (radiator mounting.) Does your cooler exhaust/intake directly from the box or does it just stir the air around inside? It might be worthwhile for you to have a temperature monitoring program (conky or similar) and also check the temperature of any drives and graphics cards with the new CPU. You say that your case is open a lot. I would strongly discourage doing this as it can create areas of stagnate or slow moving air and create hot spots in the box.

You might also add up the wattage requirements of all your motherboard driven devices to make sure your power supply is sufficient. I am using a 500 Watt on mine.

Chances are you will not have any problems with cooling if all your fans, intake vents, and heat sinks are clean.

As far as backups go, make sure your user data is protected just in case. Personally I use ReDo because I am running striped LVMs on four drives and it was the only thing that worked well for me with that setup. For normal setups I would use QT5 (or 4) FS Archiver but Back in Time has been suggested by the real experts in this forum.

Best of luck in your endeavors!

Jim
Lartizan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lartizan »

Hi Jim,
I've been reading all day about my MoBo and this CPU combination and things don't turn out too good. There is no heatsink on the VRM and since it uses a 4+1 phase, there have been numerous reports that the CPU gets throttled even at its factory settings. I think I have been a little to carried away by the idea of upgrading the CPU only...
I might a well save some money for a year or more and wait for the price of the Rizen CPUs to drop a bit and have a new computer... I won't have to buy HDD (mine are brand new), PSU ( I have a 500W 80+ bronze) nor DVD writer. Since that CPU (fx series) is already dated and does not perform too well anyway, I think I'll just wait and save some money.
Thank you very much for the time you took to reply. I shall keep all your good pieces of advice in a corner of my brain.
Regards.
Lartizan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lartizan »

Just bumping this thread to share this with you guys :
I think my CPU or Mobo just had a failure (my Mobo had more and more problems passing memcheck on startup then stopped booting), borrowed the PC from my wife and basically only switched HDs, Linux just worked flawlessly. Now this is amazing because those PCs are really different (mine was a AMD+Nvidia card and my wife has an Intel with integrated graphics), I didn't have to make any kind of manipulations except selecting boot priority. :o

Return to “Hardware Support”