HPLIP Out Of Date

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dutchmaster
Level 2
Level 2

HPLIP Out Of Date

Post by Dutchmaster »

Current repo HPLIP: Ver 3.16.3.
Most current HPLIP from HP: Ver. 3.17.6.

I just purchased an HP OfficeJet Pro 6960 all-in-one printer, a year old model. I bought it because HP said it was a "full" LInux support model. Mint's HPLIP did not recognize it, so installed the recommended guesstimate driver instead. Result - no scanner and no hplip-gui or network functionality.

I uninstalled the old stuff. Then I went to HP and downloaded and loaded current version. Worked perfectly.

I know Mint loves the old versions for stability etc, but is there any room to begin to ask the question - But, if only old hardware will work with it, at what cost do we continue said policy?

I love Mint, but IMHO this was a nuisance task that did not need to be.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
John
Blue Ridge Mountains, USA

I take refuge in the 3 jewels of the Linux Dharma: Kindness and Generosity (Buddha), Freedom (Dharma), and Collaboration (Sangha).

100% LInux since 2002
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: HPLIP Out Of Date

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Dutchmaster.

It may comfort you or it may not. You are not alone. The HPLIP versions which come with the Ubuntu LTS releases 12.04, 14.04 and 16.04, on which Mint 13, 17.x and Mint 18.x are based, have never been the most recent versions, which are available on the HP website.
I have got an HP Color Laserjet MFP M227dw, and I had to uninstall the HPLIP which came with Mint on Mint 13, 17.x and Mint 18.x and replace it with the more recent HPLIP from HP website, because HP Color Laserjet MFP M227dw was not known, yet. (1)
Simply look at it this way:
Printer models today are released in such short intervals by HP, Brother, Canon, Epson and the other printer vendors that Ubuntu simply does not have the staff to provide the most recent driver software for all the printer models around in their repos.
Getting and installing HPLIP from the HP website is no rocket science after all, in particular as the HP website does explain the steps pretty well.

Cheers,
Karl
--
(1)
Actually, HPLIP 3.16.3 does know my printer and support my scanner. My fault had been to realize too late that installing the proprietary HP plugin worked differently for the repo version than for the software from the HP website. So Mint 18.1 + HPLIP 3.16.3 would have been fine for my printer.
Cf. Solution which worked for me in this launchpad report here: scanner doesn't work after linux update to 16.04 - comment #13
Does not mean that the same steps will apply to your HP printer, too.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Len99
Level 1
Level 1

Re: HPLIP Out Of Date

Post by Len99 »

Hi All,
HPlip3.17.7 is where I come in, and being a Linux newbie had some difficulty using the instructions from the HP guide as my Mint 18.2 wasnt playing by the rules either :lol: anyway after quite a few attempts I then had to learn how to UNINSTALL everything including a locked folder from the desktop called hplip 3.17.7 and associated files which following a removal guide wouldnt uninstall ended up working how to do it all myself (pats himself on the back) anyway I found this link to a run file and used it and it worked fine, I now have all aspects of my HP Envy 4500 working including the scanner via a wireless connection....... http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... nt-3664656 I used the wireless connection and manually inserted the printers IP address ...... good luck!!

Return to “Hardware Support”