Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Ulfberht86
Level 1
Level 1

Error Message And Problem(s) Installing Graphics Driver

Postby Ulfberht86 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:27 pm

Hi :)

I'm trying out "Linux Mint 18.2" on my old computer. I'm completely new to Linux and I'm still running windows 7 on my main computer (I hope to change that in the near future though).

This is also my first forum post EVER, I hope it will be a good experience :-)

To the question:

I'm trying to install the driver for the graphics card in my old machine, which is now running Mint 18.2 (64 bit) and I have done as follows:

I open the terminal and type
lspci
and it says:

VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cedar [Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series]

I download this one:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous/detail?os=Linux+x86_64&rev=15.9

(And yes, I know there's a never version of that driver now, but i discovered that a little late. I used the 15.9 version because i already downloaded it a few months back when I started trying to figure this out) :)

I type:

chmod +x AMD-Catalyst-15.9-Linux-installer-15.201.1151-x86.x86_64.run
sudo ./AMD-Catalyst-15.9-Linux-installer-15.201.1151-x86.x86_64.run

It installs without problems, and I restart my computer, but when I do, it doesn't boot to the mint desktop, but instead gives me this error message:

Failed to start the X server (your graphical user interface). It is likely that it is not configured correctly.
Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?

I choose "yes" but none of the info displayed makes any sense to me... :?

I searched for a solution and read somewhere, that you sometimes need to install an older kernel in order to make a graphics driver work, but I also read that it could just be this Xorg thing that isn't configured correctly, or maybe it's both things in my case... Lastly I learned that there are official and unofficial drivers for Linux :shock:

to sum things up:

I want to get rid of the error message and uninstall the old driver so i can install a more up to date driver, but i don't know if it should be an official or unofficial driver, I need help to decide which one to choose and help to install the new driver.

Thanks in advance to everyone replying. :)

richyrich
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Error Message And Problem(s) Installing Graphics Driver

Postby richyrich » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:55 pm

That driver you downloaded is for Mint 17.x (Ubuntu 14.04). It will NOT work for Mint 18.x (Ubuntu 16.04). By installing it you may have broken the system where a re-install is necessary/your only option.

The Driver Manager program will tell you if there are any compatible drivers available.

Return to “Hardware Support”