Looking for a Colored Backlit Keyboard

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Looking for a Colored Backlit Keyboard

Post by gregoryshock »

Off and on I've been trying to find a backlit colored keyboard that works with Linux. With LINUX FOR SURE!

What I'm looking for is something that has quiet keys, USB, and a button or two that controls the back lighting and colors. I don't want something that controls this stuff from software that you got to install. I could get by with one that I can't control the colors.... The reason why I need this is because often times I work at my computer in the middle of the night. I've tried using little LED book lights, but they often glare a lot. I like colors because I think they look cool. I'm not picky about the whole mechanical thing.

This is the keyboard I'm currently using: https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wired- ... B001OAR26K I like the keyboard over all except that it isn't backlit. I have one other thing against it, the letter D is rubbing off. The fact it is a Microsoft keyboard is neither here nor there with me.

When it comes to mice, I'm not that picky but like the buttons to be quite. If you know of any good quiet mice let me know!

* I use both wired and wireless systems. For most of my desktops a wired system is fine.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
II-Trax-II

Re: Looking for a Colored Backlit Keyboard

Post by II-Trax-II »

gregoryshock wrote:Off and on I've been trying to find a backlit colored keyboard that works with Linux. With LINUX FOR SURE!

What I'm looking for is something that has quiet keys, USB, and a button or two that controls the back lighting and colors. I don't want something that controls this stuff from software that you got to install. I could get by with one that I can't control the colors.... The reason why I need this is because often times I work at my computer in the middle of the night. I've tried using little LED book lights, but they often glare a lot. I like colors because I think they look cool. I'm not picky about the whole mechanical thing.

This is the keyboard I'm currently using: https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wired- ... B001OAR26K I like the keyboard over all except that it isn't backlit. I have one other thing against it, the letter D is rubbing off. The fact it is a Microsoft keyboard is neither here nor there with me.

When it comes to mice, I'm not that picky but like the buttons to be quite. If you know of any good quiet mice let me know!

* I use both wired and wireless systems. For most of my desktops a wired system is fine.

A wired G19, G15 and any logitech mouse (with internal memory) can be controlled with windows, then when used with linux or other OS retain the colors, and/or mouse settings (key board macros I've never tried). It's so when you go to a lan party your settings are the same.

Edit:syntax
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

gregoryshock wrote:Off and on I've been trying to find a backlit colored keyboard that works with Linux. With LINUX FOR SURE!
I am using an Azio USB keyboard with multi colors (blue, violet or red). There is one with 5 colors and they come in USB or wireless. While not silent it is fairly quiet. It has extra large letters but the secondary letters are quite small. It is working great with Mint. It is very inexpensive too ($27). I use a USB extension and operate from a chaise lounge and 40" screen. I had a wireless Logitech with lit keys but it failed in just 30 days so I sent it back and got the Azio which is a keeper. Try it, you will be happy I am sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Azio-Tri-Color-B ... oard&psc=1
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

My Ducky Shine works with Linux.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

I have been using a Corsair K55 ($50.00 US) on Linux Mint KDE for several months now. It is not a mechanical and is very quiet. It does have 6 programmable keys but I do not use them at all. There are 8 backlight color choices that can be configured without software. It also has multi-media keys that work without extra software. Linux Mint will see it as a generic 101 key keyboard.

I like this keyboard for the backlight (I work at night sometimes and my eyesight is gradually getting worse) For me it is very comfortable and easy to use...

And it is USB

I am also using a Corsair Harpoon mouse ($29.00 US.)

These items are a bit expensive for some folks but splurge if you can! :) They were birthday gifts to me...
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

Ozo wrote:
I am using an Azio USB keyboard with multi colors (blue, violet or red). There is one with 5 colors and they come in USB or wireless. While not silent it is fairly quiet. It has extra large letters but the secondary letters are quite small. It is working great with Mint. It is very inexpensive too ($27). I use a USB extension and operate from a chaise lounge and 40" screen. I had a wireless Logitech with lit keys but it failed in just 30 days so I sent it back and got the Azio which is a keeper. Try it, you will be happy I am sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Azio-Tri-Color-B ... oard&psc=1
Jim Hauser wrote:I have been using a Corsair K55 ($50.00 US) on Linux Mint KDE for several months now. It is not a mechanical and is very quiet. It does have 6 programmable keys but I do not use them at all. There are 8 backlight color choices that can be configured without software. It also has multi-media keys that work without extra software. Linux Mint will see it as a generic 101 key keyboard.

I like this keyboard for the backlight (I work at night sometimes and my eyesight is gradually getting worse) For me it is very comfortable and easy to use...

And it is USB

I am also using a Corsair Harpoon mouse ($29.00 US.)

These items are a bit expensive for some folks but splurge if you can! :) They were birthday gifts to me...
Your two suggestions sounds like what I'm looking for. I have a hard time justify paying a 100 dollars or more for a keyboard, especially if I got to order it and can't type on it first. The few local stores I've been to don't carry very many keyboards...

Azio Vision Backlit USB Keyboard with Large Print keys and 5 Interchangeable Backlight Colors (KB506) - Wired
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I0S6SK0/re ... UTF8&psc=1

@Jim Hauser is this the correct link to your keyboard?
Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard, Backlit RGB LED
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

This is the keyboard that I mentioned. It would be best if you could "test drive" it before buying it but I have never seen one in any of my local stores.

You might want to search for compatibility problems with your motherboard. I am using an Asus M5A 78L-M USB3 motherboard and it works very well for the most part. However, occasionally it is not recognized during the boot process. This is not a problem for me as Mint still picks it up fine when it gets past the grub menu. But it could be an issue if you need to enter BIOS or make a grub menu selection. It always works fine with a cold reboot.

Hint: This keyboard has a FN key between the right ALT and CTRL key. I have to press this and Delete to enter BIOS.

Personally I would not like paying $50 for a keyboard but mine was given to me... If you do get something be sure to keep a spare older keyboard that you know works on your system.
Ubulindy

Post by Ubulindy »

I had this keyboard. Loved, loved, loved it. Mine was the Eclipse 11. Worked with Linux out of the box:
http://www.illuminatedkeyboards.co.uk/saitek/
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

Jim Hauser wrote:
This is the keyboard that I mentioned. It would be best if you could "test drive" it before buying it but I have never seen one in any of my local stores.

You might want to search for compatibility problems with your motherboard. I am using an Asus M5A 78L-M USB3 motherboard and it works very well for the most part. However, occasionally it is not recognized during the boot process. This is not a problem for me as Mint still picks it up fine when it gets past the grub menu. But it could be an issue if you need to enter BIOS or make a grub menu selection. It always works fine with a cold reboot.

Hint: This keyboard has a FN key between the right ALT and CTRL key. I have to press this and Delete to enter BIOS.

Personally I would not like paying $50 for a keyboard but mine was given to me... If you do get something be sure to keep a spare older keyboard that you know works on your system.
I should of posted my system specs!

Code: Select all

System:    Host: asus-z170m-plus Kernel: 4.4.0-87-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.28) Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Z170M-PLUS v: Rev X.0x Bios: American Megatrends v: 0704 date: 02/18/2016
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-6600K (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 28032
           clock speeds: max: 4200 MHz 1: 799 MHz 2: 799 MHz 3: 799 MHz 4: 799 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] bus-ID: 03:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 370.28 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 NVIDIA Device 0fbc driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 03:00.1 Sound: ALSA v: k4.4.0-87-generic
           Card-2 Intel Sunrise Point-H HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
Network:   Card: Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k bus-ID: 00:1f.6
           IF: enp0s31f6 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (16.4% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: HGST_HTS725050A7 size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 443G used: 62G (15%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 17.10GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C gpu: 0.0:34C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
Info:      Processes: 194 Uptime: 55 min Memory: 1191.1/15971.2MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
Ubulindy wrote:I had this keyboard. Loved, loved, loved it. Mine was the Eclipse 11. Worked with Linux out of the box:
http://www.illuminatedkeyboards.co.uk/saitek/
I live in the USA.
Ubulindy

Post by Ubulindy »

So do I. I got mine at NewEgg. But when I looked all of the ones on there are used. I'm on a VPN, hence why it shows uk ^^ Was just showing you the keyboard and the maker. :)
II-Trax-II

Post by II-Trax-II »

gregoryshock wrote:
Jim Hauser wrote:
This is why there are so many Best buys around you find what you like then purchase it from Newegg. Best Buy carries them here but in a computer gaming section away from the rest of the keyboards.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

This is why there are so many Best buys around you find what you like then purchase it from Newegg. Best Buy carries them here but in a computer gaming section away from the rest of the keyboards.
How true!

I am not a gamer at all but still have to shop with the younger crowds! :) Gregoryshock was the person who was looking.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

You can buy a keyboard from Amazon.com and return it for free if you do not like it but be advised that if you abuse the return process flagrantly they will cancel your account. I often buy from Walmart if the price (plus tax) is close because they will return your money no questions asked and will not bar you from the store if you do it too often. I know this because I had my account closed for that reason. Fortunately I got a new account after I changed addresses and name then reapplied successfully . I am now much more careful with purchases/returns.

I think it is unethical to test drive a product at one place then shop for the best price elsewhere but if the product you mail order truly does not satisfy you then sending it back is absolutely OK.
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

II-Trax-II wrote:
gregoryshock wrote:
Jim Hauser wrote:
Ozo wrote:You can buy a keyboard from Amazon.com and return it for free if you do not like it but be advised that if you abuse the return process flagrantly they will cancel your account. I often buy from Walmart if the price (plus tax) is close because they will return your money no questions asked and will not bar you from the store if you do it too often. I know this because I had my account closed for that reason. Fortunately I got a new account after I changed addresses and name then reapplied successfully . I am now much more careful with purchases/returns.

I think it is unethical to test drive a product at one place then shop for the best price elsewhere but if the product you mail order truly does not satisfy you then sending it back is absolutely OK.
I guess there are a lot of Best Buys around..... But here you are going to drive half hour to an hour to get to the nearest one!

I would never test drive something and then not buy it from the place I tested it. I'm willing to pay more for the chance to make sure everything is right.
II-Trax-II

Post by II-Trax-II »

gregoryshock wrote:
II-Trax-II wrote:
gregoryshock wrote:
Ozo wrote:You can buy a keyboard from Amazon.com and return it for free if you do not like it but be advised that if you abuse the return process flagrantly they will cancel your account. I often buy from Walmart if the price (plus tax) is close because they will return your money no questions asked and will not bar you from the store if you do it too often. I know this because I had my account closed for that reason. Fortunately I got a new account after I changed addresses and name then reapplied successfully . I am now much more careful with purchases/returns.

I guess there are a lot of Best Buys around..... But here you are going to drive half hour to an hour to get to the nearest one!

I would never test drive something and then not buy it from the place I tested it. I'm willing to pay more for the chance to make sure everything is right.
Was TIC.

Can't find article but would of been on Slashdot.org - Best Buy was damn tired of that practice as well.

Edit: Just in case - Tongue-In-Cheek
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

I went to staples and bought a G213 Prodigy by logitech. It lights up, and the colors keep cycling. Logitech doesn't provide any software for Linux to make the colors stop etc. But in windows you can have all the bells and whistles. Some people on github has written code that can change the colors. But I'm not that advanced - I don't know how to write code in any language. I like the keyboard and it would be cool to learn that stuff, but I don't think I have the time and energy for it.

Here is the links:

https://www.google.com/search?site=&sou ... OAMP-DwWM4

https://www.timewasters-place.com/how-t ... der-linux/

https://github.com/SebiTimeWaster/G213Colors
II-Trax-II

Post by II-Trax-II »

Didn't view the links I've been down this path for the G19 (G15 stuff will work).

The software for the G series has seen a few take up the project only to drop it, Lighting your keyboard was one that works, your just going to have to compile it.

I can adjust both the mouse (G602) or keyboard in Windows, and they work as set in Linux Mint as well.
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

II-Trax-II wrote:Didn't view the links I've been down this path for the G19 (G15 stuff will work).

The software for the G series has seen a few take up the project only to drop it, Lighting your keyboard was one that works, your just going to have to compile it.

I can adjust both the mouse (G602) or keyboard in Windows, and they work as set in Linux Mint as well.
Do you have a link to that? Also I have never compiled anything before.

Return to “Hardware Support”