Auto-Connect Bluetooth Device

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mystik

Auto-Connect Bluetooth Device

Post by mystik »

I hate to ask this because I am sure it is very basic. This is my first day using a Linux OS. So, be easy. :D

I have a Rii i8+ Bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo. When I connected via TeamViewer, I was able to pair it, and I seem to remember it working at that moment, but when I rebooted, it won't work. I imagine there's just a setting somewhere to connect to it automatically on boot. Someone care to give me a pointer to it? Thanks much in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Auto-Connect Bluetooth Device

Post by jungle_boy »

Try in:
Menu>System Settings>Preferences> Startup Applications
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
mystik

Post by mystik »

Thanks much for the reply. Which application do I need to add there? Or is there some setting to check? (I'm not in front of it right now, but want to check so I'm ready to go when I get there if not). Appreciate the assist.
amicalmant
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amicalmant »

Hi Mystic! Seems like nobody cares to reply so let me try it at my best.

I use a Bluetooth mouse and each time I start a Linux Mint session it is not automatically connected either. I found an easy workaround though and, although things could certainly be more straightforward, it works well for me.
  1. Boot your machine and log in your session.
  2. Click on the Bluetooth icon in the taskbar to launch the Bluetooth manager window.
  3. De-activate the Bluetooth service (push toggle from right to left).
  4. Activate the Bluetooth service (push toggle from left to right).
  5. Your device should appears in the list.
  6. Wait for ±5-10 seconds and check if it has started.
  7. If not, click on it and push the connection toggle from left to right.
  8. If the toggle does not stick you must probably re-pair the device (especially if you paired it with another device or OS as well).
  9. To do so, click on "Delete the device", and restart the pairing procedure on your device.
I hope this works for you too,
mystik

Post by mystik »

Thanks much for the reply. I really appreciate it. I ended up scraping Mint completely because of this. I was going to put it on my HTPC as a starting point, and then see about moving the workstation to it as I became more familiar. But, I ended up just putting LibreELEC on there, which is working great. With that being said, I have since bought a USB version of my wireless keyboard/mouse. So, I might give it another try.
dmull

Post by dmull »

Here is the fix to all your Bluetooth issues with it not auto connecting.

1) apt remove blueberry -y && apt install blueman
2) Remove and readd your mouse and/or keyboard.
3) Right click on your device and select "trust"
4) Reboot to test the configuration.

This was tested on 19.1 and works great!
helicart

Post by helicart »

dmull wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:36 pm Here is the fix to all your Bluetooth issues with it not auto connecting.

Thanks sir.
This resolved an issue I also had with bluetooth connected earphones.
Buck42
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Buck42 »

Post by helicart » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:06 am

dmull wrote: ↑
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:36 pm
Here is the fix to all your Bluetooth issues with it not auto connecting.

Thanks sir.
This resolved an issue I also had with bluetooth connected earphones.
To
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks. This fixed my problem with a Logitech M557 bluetooth mouse connecting to a Lenovo t520 running LMDE 4. It no longer has to be reinstalled after a reboot. :)
oldogre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oldogre »

Thanks to Dmull's post with the 3 simple steps including the terminal step. I was trying to understand why I had to reconnect every damned Bluetooth device every time I wanted to use one.. I use 3 different types of Bluetooth listening devices earbuds, and 2 different types of headphones and every time I had to pair each device whenever I wished to use one. I haven't tried using my Oximeter to see if it connects all on its own but that would sure be heaven!! Thank you for fixing my stupidity!!!

Really was nothing wrong with Bluetooth I just never set up Bluetooth right!!
Oh:
Distro: Linux Mint 20.2 Uma base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
Dell Inspiron N5110
Thanks!!
gcvisel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gcvisel »

I guess I have the same issue. When I walk away from the computer's bluetooth range, my bluetooth buds (hearing aids, actually) disconnect as expected. Or I can manually turn them off. When I turn them on/come within range, they do reconnect automatically, as seen on the Bluetooth Devices control panel.

However, when this reconnection occurs, they do not reappear in the Sound Settings listing of output devices. Until... If I right click on their icon in the Bluetooth Devices control panel and disconnect then there, and then do the same and reconnect them there, they do show up in the Sound Settings panel and work just fine!

How do we get the Sound Settings panel to recognize that the bluetooth device has automatically reconnected, without doing it manually???

Return to “Hardware Support”