Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Nvida driver on Linux mint 18.2

Post by roadrash » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:49 am

I have spent days now trying to get the Nvidia driver installed on my desktops and followed all the tutorials and guides I could find.
All of them at best end up in the same outcome and that is my system stuck in a loop trying to start X.
It just keeps trying and never gets to the desktop. Ive tried blacklisting nouveau and tried purging nvidia & nouveau before installing the driver.
I did try installing the Nvidia driver in Mepis linux instead and it did install the driver but only at a very low resolution of 640x480 and anyway I dont like Mepis as much as Linux mint or Ubuntu.
My graphics card is a Nvidia Geforce 9800GT, I havent been able to use the Nvidia driver on my desktop for a good 2 years now as every time I try, I get fed up trying all different tutorials that never work for me and I givie up and stick with the Nouveau driver.
I cannot play any videos or any complex graphical application until I get this working so please can someone give me some advice on what to do to get this driver working in Mint 18.2 Cinamon.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Nvida driver on Linux mint 18.2

Post by jimallyn » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:30 pm

I have to ask, since you didn't mention it: did you try using the Driver Manager?

NEVER spend days trying to get anything to work. Ask questions here on the Mint forums. Also, the best place to look for tutorials, guides, or advice on Mint is the Mint forums. You run the risk of bad advice trashing your system if you go elsewhere. You can find good advice on other sites, but right here is always the best place to start.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roadrash » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:14 am

thank you for the reply and you are exactly right. yes i did use driver manager and it went smooth right up to the reboot when it would get stuck trying to bring up a display. it seems like its trying but cant do it. when it gets stuck the only way out of it is to press ctrl alt del or press the reset button. i cant seem to find a way to drop to a root terminal. I am wondering if the problem is in the monitor refresh rate because when it did the mepis install i tried it was only very low resolution.

roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roadrash » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:58 pm

I am still getting nowhere wit the Nvidia driver and it is imposable using cinnamon desktop.
I have switched to Mate Desktop and I have managed to get the earlier Nvidia 304 legacy driver installed and have a display albeit in only 800x600. Can someone tell me how I change the refresh rates as they cant be changed in any of the desktop settings or nvidia settings.
The Xorg.conf file no longer exists in these later releases as I think it uses lightdm now as display manager. I did look in both etc/X11 and usr/share/X11 but cant find a config file to change.
plase can someone tell me where it is now?

roblm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by roblm » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:33 pm

roadrash wrote:The Xorg.conf file no longer exists in these later releases as I think it uses lightdm now as display manager. I did look in both etc/X11 and usr/share/X11 but cant find a config file to change. plase can someone tell me where it is now?
The xorg.conf file is not required except for certain configurations, such as laptops with Optimus technology to allow switching of GPUs and when monitors are connected to more than one GPU, depending on the graphics driver used. In newer Linux versions, hardware devices should be detected and configured automatically now, but that doesn't always happen. Then the file may be needed.

You need to post some additional info. Use these commands in the Terminal:

Code: Select all

1. inxi -SMCGx                		
2. xrandr --verbose

3. The brand and model number of the monitor, and how is it connected, including any adapter.

MartyPop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MartyPop » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:08 am

roblm wrote:The xorg.conf file is not required except for certain configurations, such as laptops with Optimus technology to allow switching of GPUs and when monitors are connected to more than one GPU, depending on the graphics driver used. In newer Linux versions, hardware devices should be detected and configured automatically now, but that doesn't always happen. Then the file may be needed.
Quick question .....
If /etc/X11/xorg.conf exists, does it override the automatic configuration.

catweazel
Level 14
Level 14

Post by catweazel » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:55 am

MartyPop wrote: If /etc/X11/xorg.conf exists, does it override the automatic configuration.
Yes, and one if it's better roles is fixing screen tearing on nVidia cards.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

MartyPop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MartyPop » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:08 am

Yes and that's exactly why I was asking because I've had screen tearing problems with my nVidia GT610 for many years and, up until now, I've never found a solution. After reading through another thread on this problem, I've managed to fix the problem on my dual monitor setup.

For anyone that's interested, here's an extract from my fixed /etc/X11/xorg.conf file:

Code: Select all

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "Stereo" "0"
    Option         "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
#    Option         "metamodes" "DVI-I-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, VGA-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
# Addition of this line fixes screen tearing problem
    Option         "metamodes" "DVI-I-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }, VGA-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"
# ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Option         "SLI" "Off"
    Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
    Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection
There's an exceelent tool for testing screen tearing here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceX18O9pvLs

I used it to test before and after editing my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and the difference is staggering :D

Return to “Hardware Support”