Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jeenuv
Level 2
Level 2

[solved] Connecting laptop to external monitor

Post by jeenuv »

In my setup, there's an external monitor connected to the laptop, which I use as my primary screen, and switch off the laptop screen when it's on desk. It all works fine.

It used to be the case that, until I had Linux mint 17+ a month ago, when I pull the HDMI cable, the laptop automatically switched to its own display; and when I plugged the cable back in, it switched to the external monitor and powered off the laptop screen.

I upgraded to 18.2 last month, but the experience is different. If I pull the HDMI cord, the laptop display doesn't switch on automatically. I've to explicitly press the switch display button on the laptop keyboard (Fn+F6, FWIW). Does anyone know if I'm missing some configuration?
Last edited by jeenuv on Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeenuv
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Connecting laptop to external monitor

Post by jeenuv »

Found the solution: mark the laptop monitor as primary, yet set it to "Off". That way, it automatically turns on when I disconnect the HDMI.

BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Re: [solved] Connecting laptop to external monitor

Post by BG405 »

Thanks for posting this follow-up, may well be useful to others. 8)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

jeenuv
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [solved] Connecting laptop to external monitor

Post by jeenuv »

I now doubt whether the solution I posted works. I mean it did work at the time of posting, but it's not reliable.

As a whole, I find 18.2 release not as reliable as what I had before (17+); if anything, it's made my system slower :(

Return to “Hardware Support”