[SOLVED] Sonya 18.2 can't play DVD's/images out of the box

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Sonya 18.2 can't play DVD's/images out of the box

Post by jaderiver »

Hello Minters:

Recently upgraded from Rebecca 17.3 to Sonya 18.2. DVD's or film images no longer play straight out the box. Why not? (I miss Brasero, Banshee,VLC, and Totem included with distro before... all working out of the box!)

Sonya's Media Player or "XPlayer" requested these plug-ins:

gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly
GStreamer plugins from the "ugly" set

gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad
GStreamer plugins from the "bad" set

Therefore, I downloaded the plug-ins. Still, nothing but more error messages. Downloaded VLC... still, DVD's won't play. Downloaded Banshee which requested same plug-ins as above, so still won't play after download.

Any advice appreciated. Audio CD's play. DVD's won't play. I've been viewing on Windows.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 21.2 MATE Victoria No longer dualbooting WIN 7 and surviving
T-Mobile 5G or 4GLTE hotspot
; WiFi/Tether to Android hotspot
richyrich

Re: Sonya 18.2 can't play DVD's out of the box

Post by richyrich »

Try this : apt install mint-meta-codecs

(when you install Mint 18.2 from the dvd/usb you are asked if you want to install this during the install process, I guess it doesn't do that when you upgrade through release versions.)
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jaderiver »

@richyrich

I installed a freshly downloaded and burned Sonya 18.2 DVD... so not "upgrading" from 17.3, exactly. I did see the options to install those codecs during installation, but as I install Mint using the DVD and only have dialup here home, I did not check to install. I'll try your suggestion and report back to the forum. Thank you.
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 21.2 MATE Victoria No longer dualbooting WIN 7 and surviving
k-314

Post by k-314 »

That statement
Sonya 18.2 can't play DVD's out of the box
is not correct.

Fresh installation of LM18.2 and one of the first things I check is playing a DVD.

As richyrich stated, the codec installation is available during the install process ...
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Sonya 18.2 can't play DVD's/images out of the box

Post by jaderiver »

Yes... thank you @richyrich. Installing mint-meta-codecs fixed the problem. I downloaded using the dialup I have... over two and a half hours. But, the codecs wouldn't "unpack" after installing. So, I went to a WiFi place, reinstalled all the codecs, and media apps work now. Like I wrote before, I was actually doing a fresh install, but because I use dialup, did not check to install meta - codecs... I always rebuild Mint off-line, from a live DVD.

Why do we need to indicate we would like to install all the codecs during a fresh install? It seems to go without saying.

Thank you very much again.

Return to “Hardware Support”