iPad 2 and Linux compatibility outdated?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

iPad 2 and Linux compatibility outdated?

Post by tpprynn » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:13 pm

Today I've been looking through a few sites explaining how to work with an iPad without iTunes which seem to be out of date. I have the libimobiledevice-utils and ifuse installed but in the file manager though iPad shows up in the left hand pane, there is nothing in it and no way to add anything. Attempting pairing tells me in the terminal that it's not seeing the device. I've tried changing USB slots.

I'm mostly aiming to put a few folders' worth of mp3 files on the iPad. I've looked at Banshee and ticked the box for Apple support but I can't see any new means of doing transfers as a result.

I had my Windows 10 laptop stolen on Sunday and am reluctant to reinstall Windows on my desktop PC.

This is an iPad mini 2 bought earlier this year. Mint 18 64 bit Mate.

Are the Apple-compatible facilities not working at present? Was there an edition of Mint that worked with iPads out of the box I could downgrade if necessary?

Thanks.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: iPad 2 and Linux compatibility outdated?

Post by jimallyn » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:38 pm

tpprynn wrote:Are the Apple-compatible facilities not working at present?
Apple compatibility is perpetually not working. Every time the geeks figure out how to get Apple stuff working in Linux, Apple changes things so it won't work anymore. But the geeks keep working on it. I don't know what the current status is. Good luck.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

ArtGirl
Level 4
Level 4

Re: iPad 2 and Linux compatibility outdated?

Post by ArtGirl » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:11 pm

tpprynn wrote:Today I've been looking through a few sites explaining how to work with an iPad without iTunes which seem to be out of date. I have the libimobiledevice-utils and ifuse installed but in the file manager though iPad shows up in the left hand pane, there is nothing in it and no way to add anything. Attempting pairing tells me in the terminal that it's not seeing the device. I've tried changing USB slots.

I'm mostly aiming to put a few folders' worth of mp3 files on the iPad. I've looked at Banshee and ticked the box for Apple support but I can't see any new means of doing transfers as a result.

I had my Windows 10 laptop stolen on Sunday and am reluctant to reinstall Windows on my desktop PC.

This is an iPad mini 2 bought earlier this year. Mint 18 64 bit Mate.

Are the Apple-compatible facilities not working at present? Was there an edition of Mint that worked with iPads out of the box I could downgrade if necessary?

Thanks.
Hi, I use Dukto ... https://pkgs.org/download/dukto, and Dukto is in the app store. Easy to use, and it always reliably copies things from A to B. Remember to turn pc firewall off before starting it up, then back on after items are copied. I haven't tried mp3 transfer myself, but one of the options is to select a folder, and I'd think you could then 'open in' from Dukto, as I have with videos, when I open them in VLC on the ipad. :)
18.3 Mate 64bit
Radeon R9 255, Mesa 17.2.8, 4.15.0-13,
Lenovo x310, intel i7-4790, 16 ram,
Ugee 2150

For any advice I've been able to add, eg re graphics tablets, please search forum.

Return to “Hardware Support”