Acer E1 572P Drivers SOLVED

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
SwanRider

Acer E1 572P Drivers SOLVED

Post by SwanRider » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:22 am

Please forgive me if I put this in the wrong place, but I wanted to share this experience with others in the hope that it will help them.
I spent some time this morning looking for drivers for my Laptop Acer E1 -572P and really couldn't find any and kept being directed to sellers not official sites. In the end I went directly to Acer and looked for the drivers there, but I couldn't find any. So I went to the chat bit and entered my SIND and asked the question directly about MInt. The answer I got back from Acer was quick and surprising for one who has come from Windows and used to installing drivers. The answer quite simply It doesn't need any extra drivers as these are installed with Mint
I am not sure if this applies across the board or with every type of laptop or PC, but it is worth noting and worth checking directly with the manufacturers first.
Last edited by SwanRider on Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

sbroccolo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Acer E1 572P Drivers

Post by sbroccolo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:10 pm

Laptop manufactures won't always know everything about Linux Mint, or Linux in general. While 99% of laptop hardware drivers are already in the Linux kernel there are a few instances where you will have to load drivers, but not usually from the manufacturer, but from a Linux repository. Linux drivers from Manufactures are often out of date. This is especially true with WiFi adapters. If you've already installed Linux Mint and everything works fine then never mind. If you haven't yet, you need to figure out what your internal WiFi card is. If it's a Broadcom then you will be able to get the drivers but you will need to be online in order to do that and in Linux. It's best if your hardwired to your router to do that. More rare, but it happens, some internal video graphics drivers and touchpad drivers can also be a problem. So when planning to install Linux, rather than just calling the laptop manufacturer I would suggest finding out what those devices are in your laptop and then searching the forums to see if anyone has had issues with them. Since Linux Mint is Ubuntu based, Here is a good place to start to find if your devices are supported:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport

Welcome to Linux!

SwanRider

Re: Acer E1 572P Drivers

Post by SwanRider » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:52 am

sbroccolo wrote:Laptop manufactures won't always know everything about Linux Mint, or Linux in general. While 99% of laptop hardware drivers are already in the Linux kernel there are a few instances where you will have to load drivers, but not usually from the manufacturer, but from a Linux repository. Linux drivers from Manufactures are often out of date. This is especially true with WiFi adapters. If you've already installed Linux Mint and everything works fine then never mind. If you haven't yet, you need to figure out what your internal WiFi card is. If it's a Broadcom then you will be able to get the drivers but you will need to be online in order to do that and in Linux. It's best if your hardwired to your router to do that. More rare, but it happens, some internal video graphics drivers and touchpad drivers can also be a problem. So when planning to install Linux, rather than just calling the laptop manufacturer I would suggest finding out what those devices are in your laptop and then searching the forums to see if anyone has had issues with them. Since Linux Mint is Ubuntu based, Here is a good place to start to find if your devices are supported:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport

Welcome to Linux!
Thank you I went to the page that you suggested and it was last updated in 2008 from what I could see. I eventually navigated to https://askubuntu.com/questions/627650/ ... 571-laptop which was last updated 2 years ago which gave the same answer more or less that I had been given by Acer. It was worth a try however just to be sure - so I thank you for that.

Moem
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Acer E1 572P Drivers SOLVED

Post by Moem » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:37 am

SwanRider wrote:I spent some time this morning looking for drivers for my Laptop Acer E1 -572P and really couldn't find any and kept being directed to sellers not official sites. In the end I went directly to Acer and looked for the drivers there, but I couldn't find any.
So, this makes me wonder... what was your reason to think you needed drivers? Was it just an old Windows habit or was something not working?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

SwanRider

Re: Acer E1 572P Drivers SOLVED

Post by SwanRider » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:42 am

Moem wrote:
SwanRider wrote:I spent some time this morning looking for drivers for my Laptop Acer E1 -572P and really couldn't find any and kept being directed to sellers not official sites. In the end I went directly to Acer and looked for the drivers there, but I couldn't find any.
So, this makes me wonder... what was your reason to think you needed drivers? Was it just an old Windows habit or was something not working?
Yes it was Moem, like so many other newbies old habits die hard and it is a matter of forgetting about Windows. Nothing was broken. However, better safe than sorry is my opinion which is where this wonderful forum comes into its own

Return to “Hardware Support”