Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ONIB312
Level 1
Level 1

"wireless unavailable" after a little bit of time. -problem

Postby ONIB312 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:41 pm

Hello, I did some looking around and could not find my problems. Some topics were similar, but none helped. And caused more problems. I'm using Mint 18 on my laptop for school.(I'll post my systems specs at the bottom of t his post) The original problem was that at school, the wireless was fast and reliable. But when I brought my computer home, the Internet would be fast for a few seconds, then gets unbearably slow, to the point it's unusable. Before school started, the Internet would work great. I did some research and tried downloading a replacement for network manager by following this video while at school.

<video link removed by moderator>

I was unable to connect to the school wifi with this, so i just used the standard network-manager to connect to the wifi, and all was fine until after about 10 or so minuets. Network Manager would no longer give me the option to turn on the wireless, and would just say unavailable. I then un-installed wicd, but the problem continues. The Internet will work fine, but after 10 or so minuets wireless becomes unavailable. To fix this, i just put in the terminal ; service network-manager restart
and wireless comes back right away. But any real fixes, so that i cant stop having to do this???

Im running mint 18 cinnamon, 64 bit. With cinnamon version 3.0.7, 4.4.0-96 generic Kernel, AMD A6-5300 APU with Radeon HD graphics x4, 3.3 GiB memory, 477 GB in hard drives, and finally AMD/AT Kabini Radeon HD 8400 / R3 series Graphics Card.

Thanks for any input! Greatly appreciate it

JeremyB
Level 17
Level 17

Re: "wireless unavailable" after a little bit of time. -problem

Postby JeremyB » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:28 am

See if this helps out, it disables wifi power management

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i 's/wifi.powersave = 3/wifi.powersave = 2/' /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf
systemctl restart network-manager.service

Some wireless chipsets don't work well with power management enabled

ONIB312
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ONIB312 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:16 pm

So I tried what was suggested, and it did not work. However, it says unavailable a lot less frequent, but that may be unrelated to what I did to try and fix the problem. Please someone reply with some other type of solution, I really need help. Thanks!

JeremyB
Level 17
Level 17

Postby JeremyB » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:42 pm

See the wireless script link in my signature and post results

ONIB312
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ONIB312 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:28 pm

Sorry for the long response. More and more problems kept occurring, to where even my terminal wouldn't open. I ended up just re-installing the OS, so all is well now. Thanks for the help tho!

Return to “Hardware Support”