Its about the "mouse suddenly stops working" syndrome

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Darktrax
Level 1
Level 1

Its about the "mouse suddenly stops working" syndrome

Post by Darktrax »

I have Linux Mint 17 "Qania" Mate, experiencing the "sudden USB mouse freeze" problem.
Previous searched posts involve other freeze-ups (like keyboard also), and none solve it, or were directly relevant.

Things I have tried..
1. It is not the hardware! Replace the mouse with any brand, (I tried at least 4).
When it happens, the pointer stays visible on the screen in one place - forever!

2. It can be "fixed", until the next time, by unplugging and re-plugging the mouse.
We discover from dmesg | less | grep usb that all that is happening is a USB disconnect, followed by a an immediate re-connect, using a new, incremented device number. This is, I think, the actual physical disconnect and re-connect. I don't know if the "stops working" is also some kind of software "disconnect".

3. A suggested strategy of using Alt-F4 to dump the desktop, and then restarting it does not work.

You can see from the code snip at the end, I had been driven mad, from 11 disconnects, to re-connect as device number 12.

Code: Select all

[10052.842570] hid-generic 0003:046D:C05A.0009: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [Logitech USB Optical Mouse] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.5/input0
[10688.412825] usb 2-1.5: USB disconnect, device number 11
[10693.223472] usb 2-1.5: new low-speed USB device number 12 using ehci-pci
[10693.319932] usb 2-1.5: New USB device found, idVendor=046d, idProduct=c05a
[10693.319939] usb 2-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[10693.319943] usb 2-1.5: Product: USB Optical Mouse
[10693.319946] usb 2-1.5: Manufacturer: Logitech
[10693.322580] input: Logitech USB Optical Mouse as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.5/2-1.5:1.0/input/input20
[10693.322818] hid-generic 0003:046D:C05A.000A: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [Logitech USB Optical Mouse] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.5/input0
In desperation, I installed LinuxMint 18 (Sarah) on a new partition. It clearly encounters the same problem - but with a fix! Periodically, the mouse suddenly quits, and then control is auto-magically restored after a delay of a second or two. I still have a lot invested in the 17 version, and I would like it to stay working. I have to migrate carefully.

Beyond that, It would be nice if this could be properly fixed. I am a user, not a programmer. I don't understand what it takes. I do know that it would be unwise to uninstall probably good stuff like "irqbalance", which is one solution suggested from internet searches.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Its about the "mouse suddenly stops working" syndrome

Post by deepakdeshp »

Please boot from live USB in version 17 and 18 and test the mouse. If mouse works ,we can say that there is a software problem.

If live USB Mint does not work, try changing USB port for the mouse.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Darktrax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Darktrax »

deepakdeshp wrote:Please boot from live USB in version 17 and 18 and test the mouse. If mouse works ,we can say that there is a software problem.
If live USB Mint does not work, try changing USB port for the mouse.
@deepakdeshp - thank you for the reply.
The live USB containing Mint 17 was erased, to use to make a live USB for Mint 18, and then handed on to install Mint 18 for several others.
These are just little local difficulties. I have the downloaded distro for Mint 18, but I have to go out and buy more USB stick to do live USB.
It is a good idea as a diagnostic, and I will do this when I can, and discover if the live USB has no problem.

We have to quit the Mint 17 Qania
The symptom in Mint 17 seems to be getting worse, and I think neither you nor I have enough life left to wring this one out right now
I would not wish to burden you with it. The migration is forced!
From within Mint 18, I can mount Mint 17 partition onto a folder using sudo mount, and fetch anything I need to transfer.
The Firefox bookmarks, etc. came across OK, but I still have some tricky network things to do.
------------------------------------
Re: changing the USB port
At least I can confirm that changing the mouse USB port does not reveal anything.
The behavior is the same whichever USB socket I use, and I have a choice of 8 on the back panel and more on the front coming from a motherboard socket.
-----------------------------------
Re: Mint 18 behavior (better)
At intervals, the mouse pointer stops moving, with a distinct pause of about a second.
It is just enough to notice, but then it starts working again all by itself, so one continues.
It is as if Mint 18 is more able to cope, and I consider the situation is workable.
----------------------------------
A possible good test here (requires fast reactions) might be to stop moving the mouse, and leave it alone in it's new spot during the "pause".
This is to note if it "catches up", or if it requires some movement of the mouse to establish where it should be.
It might reveal whether the port was actually still reading mouse pulse counts while the pointer was stopped.
Please forgive if this speculation is silly. I do not have the knowledge!

I am guessing that this mouse USB behavior might be because of some daemon, or piece of installed software that loads, interferes with, or in some way challenges the normal mouse USB access. This is the kind of thing that may need some time of use before we can spot what it might be associated.

Perhaps if one starts with a clean, minimal default installation, and then adds one's applications one by one?
I have to admit that my life does not readily allow such a time-consuming approach with the day-to-day working distro.
I may start a "test" installation, and visit it as time allows.

Thank you again for your attentions.
Darktrax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Darktrax »

I might have fixed it!
I am not ready to go for a "[SOLVED}" declaration.
I don't really believe it yet, but ...

You mess with the Preferences --> Mouse settings. Not the complete fix, but it makes a big difference!

Although I now have a Mint 18 (Sarah) installed, I had cause to return to this Mint 17 (Qania)
It never occurred to me that maybe the available range of "Acceleration" and "Sensitivity" that these may be set to, might outrun the system timings if there are any sudden, twitchy, or relatively quick movements; or when the mouse is picked up, and then put down, as one does to get back to the middle of the move space.

The "Sensitivity" control is a little counter-intuitive in that a high setting results in a slower pointer speed, but the available speed range with my Dell mouse seems to be from "quite fast" to "extreme". I set the Acceleration a bit slow, about 1/4 of the range. I set the Sensitivity to about 1/3.

It has been working OK for about 45minutes now, with only one "mouse quit" at about the 10minutes point.
Previously it would quit at between 30 seconds to about 2 minute intervals.

I accept that I could be wrong about this. It is just that meddling with the mouse settings seems to have made a difference.
Programmers who understand these things still may not be able to definitively determine the cause, and fix it, especially if it turns out to be some combination of things on only one user's installation. We depend on little clues that build up over time.

I have to be clear that all this relates to a "Mate" desktop.
Most of the other posts about this subject seem to be about Cinnamon installs.

For me, the practical solution is still to abandon the Mint 17 installation.
The Mint 18 Sarah (Mate) version of mouse fail manifests as an occasional brief freeze, (for about a second or so), and then it catches up.
In Mint 18, one hardly notices it, and that is OK.
Darktrax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Darktrax »

"Mouse Freeze" and "Mouse Pause
I have now extensively tried all reasonable exercises and strategies with this.
These include trying out several different mouse hardware, and types of mouse.
Also all obvious combinations of recovery - usually unplug and then re-plug the USB, settling for automatic creation of a series of "new" connections, until they fail.
We also explore what happens when a Linux Mint 18 "Sarah" distro download is booted directly from the install USB stick.

Mint 14, 17, and 18
The hardware is always the same. We explore the differences. The old Mint 14 does not seem to have this effect.
Mint 17 "Qiana" progressively deteriorated until now unusable, with time to freeze often less than 30 seconds.

Mint 18 "Sarah" is usable, but has a random "mouse pause". It is clearly related to USB port control activity.
A continuous movement of the mouse can suddenly suffer a pause, where the mouse is still moving, but the pointer has stopped.
It is usually a definite quit for about 1 to 2 seconds, then the pointer "catches up"
There have been two occasions when the "mouse pause" degenerated into a full scale freeze, fixed by unplug and re-plug.

Trying to provoke the mouse pause

I notice when I open a new browser window, then attempt to move it across (onto a second screen), this is enough to provoke the sticky pause, and, as co-incidence would have it, even as I write this, the mouse cursor has frozen over the Firefox window.
Now, after a USB unplug and re-plug, the mouse works again. Make that three occasions!
I was about to say that after a few tries at provoking the window move, it seems to "get used to it", such that it can't be reliably made to happen any more.

A freeze is final - X or no X!
I tried Ctrl-Alt-F1 to come out to a command screen. Cannot actually do any command line stuff, because the password is not accepted, but I then use Ctrl-Alt-F7 to return to the graphical desktop. The mouse cursor is still there, frozen.

I don't really know what is going on. Also, being a user only, I do not have the skills or knowledge to go after this.
What is about to happen is that I nuke the old Mint 17 Qiana, and use the partition to try a new clean install, while keeping the Mint 18 Sarah going, even with the present mouse behavior.

The choice is whether to try a Mint 18 in a different desktop variant, like KDE, or try a different distro entirely.
The present desktop is "Mate", which is my preference.
My thinking is that mouse and USB port behavior is likely not something that should be hostage to anything like a desktop choice - but I cannot know that. I also think that I must be just very unlucky if I am the only one who sees this.
There is a recent post about the same situation with a Cinnamon desktop.

I do know that the mouse behavior is now annoying enough for me consider a different distro!
This is sad, because I love Mint, and I have used it for years.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

I would love seeing a full list of your specs. Please run the following command from Terminal and post back the results:

inxi -Fxz
Darktrax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Darktrax »

ClixTrix wrote:I would love seeing a full list of your specs. Please run the following command from Terminal and post back the results:

inxi -Fxz
Hello ClixTrix - thank you for the reply.
By all means. Here is the spec. Not the very latest, but still an i7 860 with 8GB RAM

graham@graham-P55-UD6 ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: graham-P55-UD6 Kernel: 4.4.0-21-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.3.1)
           Desktop: MATE 1.14.1 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Machine:   Mobo: Gigabyte model: P55-UD6 Bios: Award v: F3 date: 08/01/2009
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7 860 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 22964
           clock speeds: max: 2926 MHz 1: 1330 MHz 2: 1463 MHz 3: 1463 MHz 4: 1197 MHz 5: 1463 MHz 6: 1197 MHz
           7: 1197 MHz 8: 1330 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G94 [GeForce 9600 GT] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1920x1200@59.95hz, 1920x1200@59.95hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 9600 GT/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.102 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Creative Labs SB Audigy driver: snd_emu10k1 port: ef00 bus-ID: 07:01.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-21-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: ce00 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: be00 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2910.6GB (28.4% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_HD753LJ size: 750.2GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: ST3160827AS size: 160.0GB ID-3: /dev/sdc model: ST2000DM001 size: 2000.4GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 59G used: 30G (54%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda8
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 1.04GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 35.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:70C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 267 Uptime: 6 min Memory: 917.8/7978.9MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
graham@graham-P55-UD6 ~ $
I do not have anything special running, only launcher icons for things like browser, remote desktop, mailer, etc.
System Monitor 1.14.1 shows everything at "sleep 0" except for FireFox.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

I normally check motherboard and BIOS on builds, just to see if there are any known problems. I see you're running F3 Bios, but the minimum support level for your Intel Core i7 860 is F6:

http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-P ... upport-cpu

I also see various compatibility and fixes (including USB) up to the current F11d BIOS. I'd recommend a BIOS update.

I'd also like to know the make, model, wattage, and age of your Power Supply.

Do you have the onboard Audio disabled in BIOS?
mahair

Post by mahair »

I have the same problem with my USB mouse
I ran the command inxi -Fxz and here is the output
Is there an expert who can look at it and let me know how to solve this issue, thanks

horse@Lenovo ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: Lenovo Kernel: 4.10.0-40-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine:   System: LENOVO (portable) product: 80EC v: Lenovo Z50-75
           Mobo: LENOVO model: Lancer 5B3 v: 31900058WIN
           Bios: LENOVO v: A4CN42WW (V 2.11) date: 07/27/2016
CPU:       Quad core AMD A10-7300 Radeon R6 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 15172
           clock speeds: max: 1900 MHz 1: 1100 MHz 2: 1200 MHz 3: 1500 MHz
           4: 1500 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R6 Graphics]
           bus-ID: 00:01.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@59.97hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD KAVERI (DRM 2.49.0 / 4.10.0-40-generic, LLVM 3.8.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 12.0.6 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kaveri HDMI/DP Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-40-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
           IF: enp1s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: rtl8723be port: 1000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (3.2% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD5000LPCX size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 452G used: 8.3G (2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 7.44GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 42.4C mobo: N/A gpu: 42.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 196 Uptime: 5 min Memory: 817.5/6904.2MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Last edited by mahair on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added code tag
Darktrax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Darktrax »

mahair wrote:I have the same problem with my USB mouse
I ran the command inxi -Fxz and here is the output
Is there an expert who can look at it and let me know how to solve this issue, thanks
mahair - Thank you for your contribution.
As you can see, ClixTRix has suggested I need a BIOS update (F3 to F6).
That may be a good thing, and I may do that, but what is clear is that the problem is apparently something that can exist also on a LENOVO with a Quad-core AMD CPU, which is completely different to my Intel I7-860 on a GigaByte motherboard.

It would suggest that this "mouse pause" and "mouse freeze" condition is likely to be independent of BIOS, since it can happen in other BIOS, I am thinking it is probably associated with something else.

Also, You have a later Minux Mint (18.2 Sonya). This thing apparently spans versions at least from 17 to 18.2.

Another observed symptom - freeze while one is away!
I have noticed that if one leaves the computer for some time, long enough that the screensaver comes on, and then eventually, the screens shut down in pause mode because of no mouse movement or other input detected. When one returns, and brings everything to life with a keyboard touch, the mouse cursor is usually frozen at the position where it was last left. I am looking to check if this always happens, but as you can imagine, this is not something one can check quickly and often!

RDP viwer application
There just might be some installed application type we have in common - one that taxes the USB ports.
In my case, I looked to the bits that come with the NoMachine remote desktop program.
I am not inclined to blame it any of it, because all it's parts are in "sleep" mode, and the bad freeze condition afflicted Mint17 - where I did not have NoMachine installed.

Interesting is that although in sleep mode, nxexec and nxnode.bin, which are parts of the NoMachine RDP both have a "Nice" setting at -20
That means "Very High Priority" Can it be that these (asleep) daemons are actually polling at high priority in case a user invokes them?
(I speculate in ignorance)!

PulseAudio Application
PulseAudio is apparently also in sleep mode right now. This one has a Nice setting of -11
That is also a Very High Priority!
All the other processes have a setting of "0"

Perhaps you might use System Monitor, available from Right Click on Panel-> Add to Panel.
You can check if you perhaps also have high priority items in the "Processes" tab - like PulseAudio.
I know it is a bit far-fetched, but I am looking around for any possible common cause, trying to spot something - anything, that looks like too much of a co-incidence.
Darktrax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Darktrax »

OK - I now have more experiences of "Mouse Pause"
I have had a complete freeze after inserting a USB stick that seemed to be taking forever.
After re-start, all is well, including the USB stick.

Chasing this thing is exhausting! I do note that the condition is not widespread.
If it were, there would be many more posts about it.
Before I change the entire computer, there is one more test I can try.
I will load up a different distro, or maybe Mint with a different desktop, onto a spare partition, and try it.

If the mouse symptom goes away - then it is something about Linux Mint (Mate)
If it persists, then it is the USB ports control possibly affected by an installed application, or the BIOS, or the computer hardware itself.
Darktrax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Darktrax »

OK - I cannot take it anymore!
I can clearly see that some process is sometimes randomly delaying USB control to the mouse, and that sometimes it seizes up.
Plugging in a USB stick leaves it struggling, even after the stick is unplugged.
It has to be something to do with only my setup, because there are not widespread reports of USB port fail.
After major hardware rework
I still want to stay with Mint, so the ultimate strategy is adopted. I change all the hardware, except for the disc drives.
Drastic I know - but that seems to have worked!

Whether it was Intermittent USB mouse (several?) cables, connectors, motherboard, whatever, I don't care.
The "old" kit can be investigated separately.
Evgeniy146

Post by Evgeniy146 »

Hi
Faced with such problem too.
Not sure if its the same problem, but anyway:
Mouse freezes after several seconds, touchpad/keyboard works without any malfunctions.
Changing port works but only for that several seconds and switching them again doesnt work.
Also, I have a USB3 port - and it works without any malfunctions too (instead of 2 USB2 ports).

There is my syslog for the following problem:

Nov 25 22:04:03 evgeniy kernel: [13636.034777] usb 3-2: new low-speed USB device number 13 using xhci_hcd
Nov 25 22:04:03 evgeniy kernel: [13636.178035] usb 3-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0000, idProduct=0538
Nov 25 22:04:03 evgeniy kernel: [13636.178041] usb 3-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
Nov 25 22:04:03 evgeniy kernel: [13636.178045] usb 3-2: Product:  USB OPTICAL MOUSE
Nov 25 22:04:03 evgeniy kernel: [13636.181198] input:  USB OPTICAL MOUSE as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-2/3-2:1.0/0003:0000:0538.0012/input/input52
Nov 25 22:04:03 evgeniy kernel: [13636.239394] hid-generic 0003:0000:0538.0012: input,hidraw2: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [ USB OPTICAL MOUSE] on usb-0000:00:14.0-2/input0
Nov 25 22:04:03 evgeniy mtp-probe: checking bus 3, device 13: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-2"
Nov 25 22:04:03 evgeniy mtp-probe: bus: 3, device: 13 was not an MTP device
Nov 25 22:04:04 evgeniy kernel: [13637.466825] mei_me 0000:00:16.0: timer: init clients timeout hbm_state = 1.
Nov 25 22:04:04 evgeniy kernel: [13637.466847] mei_me 0000:00:16.0: unexpected reset: dev_state = INIT_CLIENTS fw status = 1E000255 60000106 
Nov 25 22:04:06 evgeniy org.gtk.vfs.Daemon[15695]: A connection to the bus can't be made
Nov 25 22:04:07 evgeniy acpid: client 15385[0:0] has disconnected
Nov 25 22:04:07 evgeniy kernel: [13640.435293] usb 3-2: USB disconnect, device number 13
And there is my inxi -Fxz:

System:    Host: evgeniy Kernel: 4.8.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.28) Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine:   System: ASUSTeK (portable) product: S400CA v: 1.0
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: S400CA v: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends v: S400CA.207 date: 12/27/2012
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-3517U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9577
           clock speeds: max: 3000 MHz 1: 891 MHz 2: 802 MHz 3: 804 MHz 4: 806 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@59.98hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 12.0.6 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.8.0-53-generic
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet driver: alx port: e000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-3: Atmel usb-ID: 001-015
           IF: null-if-id state: N/A speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 524.1GB (8.8% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST500LT012 size: 500.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: SanDisk_SSD_U100 size: 24.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 22G used: 5.2G (25%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb1
           ID-2: /var size: 92G used: 900M (2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3
           ID-3: /home size: 358G used: 29G (9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-4: swap-1 size: 9.79GB used: 0.03GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda4
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 59.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 3400
Info:      Processes: 244 Uptime: 3 days Memory: 2678.1/3837.1MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Also, dont remember if I installed or updated something in last days - problem is just appeared.

I'll be grateful for any advice.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Evgeniy146 wrote:

Nov 25 22:04:03 evgeniy kernel: [13636.034777] usb 3-2: new low-speed USB device number 13 using xhci_hcd
Nov 25 22:04:03 evgeniy kernel: [13636.178035] usb 3-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0000, idProduct=0538
Nov 25 22:04:03 evgeniy kernel: [13636.178041] usb 3-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
Nov 25 22:04:03 evgeniy kernel: [13636.178045] usb 3-2: Product:  USB OPTICAL MOUSE
Nov 25 22:04:03 evgeniy kernel: [13636.181198] input:  USB OPTICAL MOUSE as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/[color=#FF0000]usb3[/color]/3-2/3-2:1.0/0003:0000:0538.0012/input/input52
Nov 25 22:04:03 evgeniy kernel: [13636.239394] hid-generic 0003:0000:0538.0012: input,hidraw2: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [ USB OPTICAL MOUSE] on usb-0000:00:14.0-2/input0
Nov 25 22:04:03 evgeniy mtp-probe: checking bus 3, device 13: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/[color=#FF0000]usb3[/color]/3-2"
Nov 25 22:04:03 evgeniy mtp-probe: bus: 3,[color=#FF0000] device: 13 was not an MTP device[/color]
Nov 25 22:04:04 evgeniy kernel: [13637.466825] mei_me 0000:00:16.0: timer: init clients timeout hbm_state = 1.
Nov 25 22:04:04 evgeniy kernel: [13637.466847] mei_me 0000:00:16.0: unexpected reset: dev_state = INIT_CLIENTS fw status = 1E000255 60000106 
Nov 25 22:04:06 evgeniy org.gtk.vfs.Daemon[15695]: A connection to the bus can't be made
Nov 25 22:04:07 evgeniy kernel: [13640.435293] usb 3-2: USB disconnect, device number 13

Also, dont remember if I installed or updated something in last days - problem is just appeared.

I'll be grateful for any advice.[/quote]

The MTP service is for multi-media devices, not a mouse.  That's the conflict.  Was it plugged into USB2 or USB3 for that syslog event?  Did you install a new device to USB or app (or update an app)?
Evgeniy146

Post by Evgeniy146 »

ClixTrix wrote:
Evgeniy146 wrote:

Nov 25 22:04:03 evgeniy kernel: [13636.181198] input:  USB OPTICAL MOUSE as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/[color=#FF0000]usb3[/color]/3-2/3-2:1.0/0003:0000:0538.0012/input/input52
Nov 25 22:04:03 evgeniy mtp-probe: checking bus 3, device 13: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/[color=#FF0000]usb3[/color]/3-2"
Nov 25 22:04:03 evgeniy mtp-probe: bus: 3,[color=#FF0000] device: 13 was not an MTP device[/color]

I'll be grateful for any advice.[/quote]

The MTP service is for multi-media devices, not a mouse.  That's the conflict.  Was it plugged into USB2 or USB3 for that syslog event?  Did you install a new device to USB or app (or update an app)?
[/quote]

Was plugged into USB2. No, I did not install or update any apps or like so. Problem is just happened.
By the way, I found
> Nov 25 22:04:04 evgeniy kernel: [13637.466825] mei_me 0000:00:16.0: timer: init clients timeout hbm_state = 1.
log pretty suspicious and blacklisted mei (/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf, you know).
Not sure if its related, but after restart I faced problem just several times, problem became more rare.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Evgeniy146 wrote: There is my syslog for the following problem:

Was plugged into USB2. No, I did not install or update any apps or like so. Problem is just happened.
By the way, I found
> Nov 25 22:04:04 evgeniy kernel: [13637.466825] mei_me 0000:00:16.0: timer: init clients timeout hbm_state = 1.
log pretty suspicious and blacklisted mei (/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf, you know).
Not sure if its related, but after restart I faced problem just several times, problem became more rare.[/quote]

Well, the log shows it running MTP-Probe for the Mouse.  That's weird.  I think this file is where the rules are set for MTP-Probe.

/lib/udev/rules.d/69-libmtp.rules

If you can locate and copy-paste that file back, maybe I can spot what might be the cause.  I'm seeing some old posts about this conflict and a "catch-all" being added to rules with install of apps like banshee.  That's what I'm looking for.
doubleganger

Post by doubleganger »

I'm having a similar problem which seems to be becoming more frequent, which makes me suspect some hardware problem. I upgraded from Mint 17,something to 18.1 when even a reboot didn't fix the problem. Now it's occurring again but so far reinserting the usb plugs sometimes fixes but sometimes not. I have a script running in a loop every 5 minutes that resets the usb (see below. Not my work, I stole the main part of it.) I'd run it more frequently but it glitches the mouse and keyboard for about half a second every time it loops. I was just thinking the fact that it works might be a clue for someone.

#!/bin/bash

if [[ $EUID != 0 ]] ; then
  echo This must be run as root!
  exit 1
fi

while true
 do
for xhci in /sys/bus/pci/drivers/?hci_hcd ; do
notify-send -t 1000 "USB reset"
  if ! cd $xhci ; then
    echo Weird error. Failed to change directory to $xhci
    exit 1
  fi

echo Resetting devices from $xhci...

for i in ????:??:??.? ; do
    echo -n "$i" > unbind
    echo -n "$i" > bind
#sleep 5
  done
done

sleep 300 
done

L1ttl3J1m

Post by L1ttl3J1m »

The solution I found was to disable power management of the USB controller that the mouse is connected to.

Get the ID of the controller from the SysLog output;

Nov 25 22:04:03 evgeniy kernel: [13636.034777] -->usb 3-2<--: new low-speed USB device number 13 using xhci_hcd
Nov 25 22:04:03 evgeniy kernel: [13636.178035] -->usb 3-2<--: New USB device found, idVendor=0000, idProduct=0538
Edit the /etc/rc.local file and add the following line above the exit 0 line

echo 'on' > '/sys/bus/usb/devices/3-2/power/control';

save and reboot or run sudo /etc/rc.local

You'll still see the reset messages when the mouse wakes up, but it won't be registered as a new input device anymore.

For more power management features, you could also investigate PowerTop, which is Intel's utility for controlling CPU/mainboards. It's in the standard repositories, so it can be installed via apt-get or your preferred package manager.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I too had to install PowerTop

I don't recall now, what finally fixed mine, but this is from my Notebook ref my 18.3 Cinnamon OS

nothing done in /sys is permanent......................
Do it like this:

echo -1 | sudo tee /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/autosuspend
Alternatively, to be able to copy & paste the commands from that link, you need to be at a root shell, so run:

sudo -s 
and then you won't need the sudo prefix anymore (careful, you are now root - the exit command makes you leave the root shell).
======================================================
Turn it OFF permanently with this command:
viewtopic.php?t=273460
this did not effect the method shown immediately below, so I did both.
by Lord Boltar » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:54 pm Just copy paste the following command in terminal and it will Disable USB autosuspend

echo on | sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/level >/dev/null
Sun Apr 22 19:19:02 CDT 2018
SUSPEND USB ports THIS IS ONLY VALID FOR THE CURRENT SESSION.
when you reboot, it goes back like it was.

Set the Suspend to -1 as per this information:

To change the USB auto-suspend parameter, you need to edit the file where the parameter is stored.

Run the following command from Terminal (copy and paste).

gksudo xed /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/autosuspend
That will launch the editor. Note, it will ask for password.

You'll see the contents of the file is 2. Change the 2 to -1 and then from the editor Menu use File to Save and Quit. Restart the system and test.

Per the article, 2 gives a 2-second timeout, whereas -1 turns off the timeout feature.
Sun Apr 22 19:19:49 CDT 2018

Return to “Hardware Support”