System 76 laptops and Mint?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

System 76 laptops and Mint?

Post by MurphCID »

System 76 laptops come with Ubuntu, so should be no problem installing meant 18.2 on one of their laptop. Everything should work as it is supposed to work?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: System 76 laptops and Mint?

Post by JeremyB »

I would look at the repositories/PPA's used to see if System 76 has their own repository or PPA in case Linux Mint doesn't work as well
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Could you just add the PPAs to the Mint or Ubuntu PPAs? Or make them visible so you could use them since Mint is Ubuntu based?
syg00

Post by syg00 »

I see they just announced they are splitting from Ubuntu - they're not really, just forking. All because Ubuntu dropped Unity.

Frankly, I don't think they see Mint users as their demographic.
blockhead47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blockhead47 »

I have a System76 desktop. No special drivers are required to run Mint 18.2 on it.
There is a System76 driver for their laptops. But I believe you can point Mint to their PPA and load it. I have done so with my desktop but it is pointless as their System76 driver is currently for laptops only.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Thanks, I am looking at the Lemur as a possible system to get a new linux laptop. I think that being able to use a laptop that is linux ready is a great thing. I can finally retire this macbook pro as my only laptop. My daughter wants it anyway.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

I have an Oryx Pro and it runs Mint great. If you need the system76 drivers for that particular laptop there is no issues with adding the ppa and installing them as per the instructions on their site.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
solostian
Level 1
Level 1

Post by solostian »

I have a Kudu and Gazelle, both running great on Cinnamon Mint.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The new Oryx Pro looks really nice, almost like an MSI gaming machine. https://system76.com/laptops/oryx
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I have started saving the coins for an Oryx Pro, and by the end of the year, I should have enough money to get one. I will switch to Mint instead of Ubuntu, and then use it as a linux gaming machine.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Anyone have one of the new System 76 Darter systems, and if so is it running Mint? I am curious since it only has one drive, and claims a much better battery life. Rather than start a new thread, I just recycled this one for now.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I should have the money saved up by the first part of November. But everything I have found on the net indicates that Mint will NOT be an easy or reasonable installation on the Oryx Pro. Reading some of the issues and work arounds, it seems that it would be just simpler to keep the Pop OS, and not try Mint which sucks because I love Mint. It looks like you cannot use systemd, must use GRUB, edit the heck out of things, then pray, pray, pray that things work the way they are supposed to work. I want to insert the USB drive, and install Mint. I understand I will have to add the System 76 PPAs but good grief it does not look good for Mint to happen.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:08 pm ...good grief it does not look good for Mint to happen.
What doesn't look good to me is System76. I'd be avoiding it like the plague, to be honest.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

catweazel wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:22 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:08 pm ...good grief it does not look good for Mint to happen.
What doesn't look good to me is System76. I'd be avoiding it like the plague, to be honest.
Por Que? Why is that?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:23 pm
catweazel wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:22 pm
Por Que? Why is that?
In a word, rigmarole. In not so many words, I've been in computers for longer than most people have been alive, and rigmarole is a portent of doom :)

As for the intended meaning of rigmarole, it shouldn't be that difficult to install any OS. I'm referring to the How I installed Mint 19 XFCE on an Oryx Pro thread. Crikey, installing Manjaro was an absolute breeze compared to that; plug in the flash drive, start the machine, hit the BIOS boot key, select the flash drive, install. All done, with proprietary drivers installed for all my kit besides.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Do you think that 19.2 might be less painful? I like Cinnamon, and just don't want to deal with the issues. I have it up an running on HP laptops, but the pain and agony you describe in that thread is really intimidating to newbies like me.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I spoke with a really decent and helpful guy at System 76 and he told me that they can't install Mint there, and there are some issues, but he directed me here and it looks pretty straightforward for a basic Cinnamon 19.2 installation. The last part is a little unclear, it appears that there is nothing in the double quotation marks "".

https://support.system76.com/articles/install-ubuntu/
Install System76 Driver
Once you’ve reinstalled Ubuntu, you’ll need to download and install the System76 Driver. Open the Terminal (search Terminal from the Ubuntu () dash or press Ctrl+Alt+T), then enter the following commands:

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:system76-dev/stable
sudo apt update
sudo apt install system76-driver
NVIDIA Graphics
If you ordered a system with a discrete NVIDIA graphics card or if you added one later on, you will need to manually install the drivers for your card to get the optimum performance. Please run the following command after the above commands to install the driver:

sudo apt install system76-driver-nvidia
If ‘nouveau.modeset=0’ Was Used
The nouveau.modeset=0 modifier should be made default if your machine has NVIDIA hardware. Please run this command to edit the startup options file:

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
Update this line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=”nouveau.modeset=0”

to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=””

Then save the file, exit the editor, and run this command to make the change permanent:

sudo update-grub
Once the process is finished, restart your computer for all changes to take effect.

Does this seem ok? It is a little confusing, so if I install 19.2 I have to edit GRUB to get it to boot, then after adding the NVIDIA driver, I have to edit GRUB back the the second line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" to keep it working? I thought Mint installed the NVIDIA drivers automatically?
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

TO heck with it, I will get an HP Omen, use Windows, since System 76 makes it too hard to load Mint.
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

Hmmm, System 76, expensive and cantankerous.

Fuhgeddaboutit :roll:
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Yeah, I decided against getting one. I like Mint too much, I'll just another HP laptop and wipe Windows and install Mint. I'll spend the money I was going to spend on System 76 and get an HP Omen (used) gaming laptop for my laptop gaming needs. Then I will make a donation to Mint.

Return to “Hardware Support”