SOLVED Connect HP Printer Wirelessly

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pensioner77
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED Connect HP Printer Wirelessly

Post by pensioner77 »

I have a hp Officejet Pro 8100 Printer and my PC is partioned with Mint and Win7. I have changed my connection from ethernet to wireless and I can print on the Win7 partion but on Mint 9 My prefered OS) everything is held as pending! "Enabled " is ticked in the printer properties.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: connect hp Printer wirelssly

Post by karlchen »

Hello, pensioner77.

Note: Mint 9 has passed the end of its supported life. It did so in April 2013, 4 years ago. - You should seriously consider upgrading to a supported Linux Mint release.
About your specific question on how to switch your Mint HP printer configuration to wireless network mode:
The exact details depend on the answer to the question:
  • Are you using the HPLIP driver software which are available in the official software repositories (on Mint 17.x and Mint 18.x, no idea whether it was at Mint 9 times.)?
  • Are you using the HPLIP driver software from the HP website here: HP Linux Imaging and Printing?
Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Re: connect hp Printer wirelssly

Post by majpooper »

I am astounded that you are still on Mint 9 which is way before my time - that does not seem like a good idea.
Anyway I have a HP Officejet printer 8610. I had a wireless connection for a short time until I bought a cheap switch and connected via CAT5 to my network. I now this is not always possible depending on location etc. I do remember to set up a wireless connection I had to jump through some hoops I believe initially I had to establish a USB connection. This was per HP not linux as I recall but if you have it working with Windows maybe not. Anyway the wireless connection was always flaky hence I switched to a wired network connection.
pensioner77
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Connect HP Printer Wirelessly

Post by pensioner77 »

Sorry Karlchen & majpooper, the Mint9 was an error I never meant to hit the 9 key, I am using Mint17!
I never installed specific drivers on the Linux partition as I remember "cups?" just worked , of course then I was using a USB connection for both OS's. If it is not an easy solution, I am not very IT proficient, would it be possible be connected by USB and still have the wireless connection when printing on the Win7 partition?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Don't have an HP but do have an Epson XP305 wireless printer. Using mint 18.2 (and don't remember any problems here when using 17.3).

Goto admin > printers > server > new > printer (or simply hit the add button).

Expand network printers and it should be there - can you see it? Epson works fine with DNS-SD, don't know about the HP. Given that you've had it working when connected direct should have the right driver.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, pensioner77.

Mint 17 is alright. :)
Provided you have got the HPLIP driver software installed (Ubuntu repo version or the one from the genuine HP website) you should find a menu item labelled "HP Device Manager" inside the Mint menu => Accessories.
Launch "HP Device Manager". Click on "Device" => "Setup Device". This is where you can configure the way how your printer is connected: via USB, via Ethernet cable, via wireless.

HTH,
Karl
--
P.S.:
In case you should not have "HP Device Manager" under Mint menu - Accessories, you might like to check which hplip software packages are present on your system:
Terminal command sudo dpkg --list hplip* Should list as installed: hplip, hplip-cups, hplip-data.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
pensioner77
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pensioner77 »

Thank you everyone, AndyMH suggestion worked a treat.

Return to “Hardware Support”