Fan activity

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
skjones007

Fan activity

Post by skjones007 »

I seem to get more fan noise/activity with LM 18.2 than with, say, Ubuntu even though LM seems to be using less resources. Any thoughts on why?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Fan activity

Post by Petermint »

If you are comparing the latest releases, there are some differences. LM 18.3 is a performance catchup when they move to a later version of the interface software. If LM 18.3 is slower than Ubuntu, then measure the difference and report it.
skjones007

Post by skjones007 »

What, exactly, is 'interface software'? Will this speed up XFCE version of LM or just Cinnamon?
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

The change in 18.3 is in the connection from Cinnamon to the GUI code in the background. This may flow on to MATE as MATE is similar and also maintained by LM. Xfce is a separate unrelated project doing things a different way. Xfce is already lighter in weight.
skjones007

Post by skjones007 »

Thanks for the responses. Can i ask one more question? What version of LM do you use personally? Cinnamon?
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

LM 18.2 Cinnamon upgraded to kernel 4.10 to fix one problem.

Firefox, Thunderbird, and everything else use about 2 GB of the 4 GB memory. Average processor use is usually below 10% of the 2 * 1.6 GHz cores. In Firefox, I use Noscript to stop Web sites flooding the Web pages with Javascript and videos.

Return to “Hardware Support”