Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Skalman
Level 1
Level 1

Install GPS BU353

Postby Skalman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:09 pm

Hallo!
Someone helping me tell how to install and get the GPS BU353 under LinuxMint 18.2.
It has a USB contact and the Seachart program wants the data from the GPS in seriell form on COM4. Baud 4800.
I can not fix this, Too much newbee for this issue.
Downloaded the correct Driver from:
[color=#4000FF]http://usglobalsat.com/s-122-bu-353-support.aspx[/color]
and installed the driver but it doesn't work. Maybee installed it wrong?

The config at the SeaChart says:
[img]/media/skalman/Elements/temp/DataconnectNMEA.jpg[/img]
and the test program for the GPs coming with install can find the port.

Thank You to any help getting the GPS talk to the SeaChart program. (It is the free OpenCPN I have used it when sailing but on a W7 laptop. Now I have LinuxMint 18.2)
Please be patient with me, after all I'm 73 years and english is not my language, but I'm still sailing and want to use the Linux laptop onboard, next summer.
Thank You.

Mr Skalman
Sweden

jimallyn
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Install GPS BU353

Postby jimallyn » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:46 pm

OK, I'm curious: what driver did you download, and how did you install it? I ask because I downloaded the one labeled Linux USB Driver, extracted it from the zip file, and I see a folder entitled 'Driver for Redhat ONLY' and a file titled '--IMPORTANT-- READ ME FIRST .txt.' Clearly Mint is NOT Redhat, and in the README file it says 'Linux Kernel 2.4.31 and above already includes built-in drivers for our USB GPS Receivers, but due to linux having many versions, we were unable test on all versions, but it should work.'

So, what happens when you plug the GPS into a USB port? Anything?

With the GPS plugged into the computer, open a terminal and enter lsusb. Copy/paste the output of that command in your next post.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Skalman
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Install GPS BU353

Postby Skalman » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:30 pm

Thank you, I 'll come back later when I tried out.

Return to “Hardware Support”