[SOLVED] Mint reports wrong disksize on 4TB Toshiba disk

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frmb
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Mint reports wrong disksize on 4TB Toshiba disk

Post by frmb »

Hi,
I purchased a new 4TB-Toshiba harddrive (N300, HDWQ140). It runs in an external case, which is plugged into the host by USB2.
To my surprise Linux reports 1.64TB (gparted and OpenMediaVault).
GSmartControl says 4TB and "no rerrors".
Why does Linux report 1.64 TB? What to do?

Kind regards
Frank

Linux Mint 4.4.0-97
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Mint reports wrong disksize on 4TB Toshiba disk

Post by WharfRat »

Can you mount the partition and paste back df -h /dev/sd?? where ?? is the suffix of the device assignment or df -h /mountpoint where mountpoint is where the partition is mounted.
silfox2000
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silfox2000 »

Make sure your drive is GPT partitioned, not MBR (from gparted Device->Create Partition Table->gpt).
frmb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by frmb »

WharfRat wrote:Can you mount the partition and paste back df -h /dev/sd?? where ?? is the suffix of the device assignment or df -h /mountpoint where mountpoint is where the partition is mounted.
We are pre-mount, pre-partition! I just bought that drive and plugged it into the PC via USB. Then, gparted reports size 1.64TB, partitiontable unknown. Will now create partiontable.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

The size you're seeing is probably the partition size rather than disc capacity.
Assuming you want a single 4TB partition for use with Linux only, partition with GPT partition table and a 4TB EXT4 partition.
frmb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by frmb »

silfox2000 wrote:Make sure your drive is GPT partitioned, not MBR (from gparted Device->Create Partition Table->gpt).
OK, partition table was "unknown". But creation of partition table didn't change anything. Now we are partitiontable:gpt and size still 1.64TB.
255 heads, 63 sectors/tracks, 219051 cyls, sectors total 3519069872, sector size 512
which means: 3519069872 x 512 = 1,802x10pw12 which sounds like 1.64TB.
Is it possible, that this is a limit of the ICY USB-case?
frmb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by frmb »

MintBean wrote:The size you're seeing is probably the partition size rather than disc capacity.
Assuming you want a single 4TB partition for use with Linux only, partition with GPT partition table and a 4TB EXT4 partition.
Believe me: there isn't any partition on the disk. It is brand new unboxed. I'm reporting the "device information", which can be shown in gparted on the left side. Above is one single block "unallocated 1.64TB" spanning from far left to far right.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

frmb wrote:
MintBean wrote:The size you're seeing is probably the partition size rather than disc capacity.
Believe me: there isn't any partition on the disk. It is brand new unboxed. I'm reporting the "device information", which can be shown in gparted on the left side. Above is one single block "unallocated 1.64TB" spanning from far left to far right.
Don't trust gparted.

Run this command

sudo parted -l

And post the output.
silfox2000
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silfox2000 »

frmb wrote:OK, partition table was "unknown". But creation of partition table didn't change anything. Now we are partitiontable:gpt and size still 1.64TB.
255 heads, 63 sectors/tracks, 219051 cyls, sectors total 3519069872, sector size 512
which means: 3519069872 x 512 = 1,802x10pw12 which sounds like 1.64TB.
Is it possible, that this is a limit of the ICY USB-case?
I doubt so. The limit of the MBR is 2TB, but the rest from the 4TB disk is almost exactly 1.64TB. I don't think that it is a coincidence, but in any case for sure you have to use GPT partitioning, so from now on you can look for solution. I would use something like Paragon bootable USB to check where the missing part is.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

"Is it possible that this is a limit of the ICY USB-case?" Well, yes. Some are specified as 2TB...
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/icy-box ... 5-sata-hdd
Features • Premium aluminium case
• HDD capacity 3.5" up to 2 TB <-----------------------------------!!!
• Supports: PC & Mac (Windows XP/Vista/7)
• USB 3.0 ((Micro Typ Connector) up to 5.0Gbps)
frmb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by frmb »

Solved: In fact, the old ICY-Box limits the reported disksize. After switching to a new Enermax Box, file size is reported by parted as 4001 GB. Nothing else changed, so it must be the box.

By the way, if you buy an Enermax Brick EB308U3-B USB disk case, be aware of the following strange behaviour:
It has a power button, an indicator LED and two sockets for USB and power. I've attached the brand new disk into the case, plugged in the power chord and turned on the power switch, and...
...noting happened. Neither the disk spinned up nor did the indicator LED flash. Nothing, everything dead, which misled me to assume the case must be damaged, since disk spinned up immediately in the old ICY box.
But it wasn't. Disk spins up only if you connect the brick to a PC by USB. With the disk spins up, LED starts flashing. Unfortunately, this isn't stated in the printed manual.
bbowerman1

Re: [SOLVED] Mint reports wrong disksize on 4TB Toshiba disk

Post by bbowerman1 »

I have a Toshiba 4tb disk internal disk drive that when I click on the properties in the 'files' it shows 2.2tb. If I go to the 'Disks' drop down from Preferences, it shows up as 4tb with only 2.2tb free. The disk is brand new, has been partitioned FAT at 4tb and formatted. Any ideas?
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

bbowerman1 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:32 am I have a Toshiba 4tb disk internal disk drive that when I click on the properties in the 'files' it shows 2.2tb. If I go to the 'Disks' drop down from Preferences, it shows up as 4tb with only 2.2tb free. The disk is brand new, has been partitioned FAT at 4tb and formatted. Any ideas?
Is the drive using an MBR or GPT partition table? I believe MBR is limited to 2TB partition sizes.
bbowerman1

Post by bbowerman1 »

SOLVED Sorry, I should have done my research/leg-work before crying to the forums. I installed GParted, re-partitioned the drive and it's working/reading just fine now. Thank you for your help though!

Return to “Hardware Support”