Network driver issue - 3Com 3c905-TX

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
franciobr

Network driver issue - 3Com 3c905-TX

Post by franciobr »

Hello guys, can't figure out a way to make the (old) 3Com 3c905-TX network card to work. This computer was working just fine with its onboard netword card until last week when it got fried by a thunderstorm.

Manually typed output from "inxi -Fxz":

Code: Select all

System: Host: mic-francio Kernel 4.10.0-28 generic x86_64 (64bit gcc: 5.4.0)
             Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.7 (Qt 5.6.1) Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya    
Network: Card: 3Com 3c905 100BaseTX [Boomerang] driver: 3c59x port: ec00 bus-ID: 07:01.0
               IF: enp7s1 state: up speed: 100Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
It looks fine but it does not connects to the internet. After trying to connect for a while it gives two popup notification:

Code: Select all

popup1: Wired Connection 1 - Connection deactivated
popup2: Wired Interface (enp7s1) - IP configuration was unavailable
I have looked around the internet but couldn't come up with any troubleshooting idea. The driver looks fine. The driver manager from linux mint thinks for a long time until it finally says that it cannot do anything without an internet connection or an installation disk (usb).

Any ideas how to solve this issue?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
franciobr

Re: Network driver issue - 3Com 3c905-TX

Post by franciobr »

Solved the issue. The problem was not with the driver but with the ip configuration at my university network. This card works just fine on my linux system. I thought there was a driver problem because I could not get this card to work on windows 7 64bit due to driver issues. Sorry for the confusion.

Return to “Hardware Support”