Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Taffman
Level 3
Level 3

Keyboard not recognised

Postby Taffman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:41 am

I've been using Linux Mint KDE 18.1 for several months without issue, suddenly one day for no obvious reason my PS2 keyboard (connected via USB adaptor) is no longer recognised, consequently my PC hangs on boot up as it cant see a keyboard connected. The keyboards Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock LED's are permanently lit, but it doesn't work. This is the same problem I had with my previous Microsoft wireless Keyboard under my previous installation Linux Mint Cinnamon 17, the move the to the PS2 keyboard fixed that problem on that occasion. The associated wireless mouse works fine, but the keyboard doesn't. Both Keyboards work fine when connected to another (Windows 10) PC. I have now connected a newer Wireless keyboard of unknown origin (cheap Chinese keyboard and mouse recently purchased from eBay) and that's working fine for now.

Does anyone know whats going on here or suggest how I trouble shoot this. Could this be the direct result of kernel update, rendering the older devices unusable?
Linux Mint KDE 18.1 Plasma 64-bit, Dell Dimension 9200, 4GB, 2.4GHz Core2, Radeon X1300

Termy
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Keyboard not recognised

Postby Termy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:03 pm

Bizarre!

My first thought was in-fact have you tested it on another machine or in another OS installation, but you beat me to it.

The only experience I have like that, is a couple of times when I was changing around kernels, I'd come across the odd one which, when booted up, gave me no keyboard or mouse access what-so-ever. When I went back to the previous kernel, all was fine. In retrospect, I believe I probably just forgot the headers or something; that kinda thing has happened before, in that I had issues until I installed the headers, then it worked just fine, especially with a virtual machine.

I'd say load up a different kernel, if you can, just to experiment, to see if it makes a difference. It's possible that a new version has botched something up on your setup, but I'd say, IMO, very unlikely, unless you went with a new release, rather than just a new patch of a release. You know how you get, for example, 4.8.12-145-generic? Well, that 145 is, AFAIK, a patch from the distribution's maintainers. 4.8 is the actual version; major.minor) and I can't remember what the 12 is. Version schemes vary, but they're probably going by the semantic one.

Anywho, it might help to post the output of inxi -Fz, just in-case any of it is useful to anyone.

By the way, does the keyboard work in a LiveCD? The one you installed Mint with, preferably.
Here to help.

Return to “Hardware Support”