Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
endusermint
Level 1
Level 1

Sound/ Headphones help please

Postby endusermint » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:55 pm

I always swap out headphones at night, and have speakers during the day. For some reason I have to manually change the sound settings every time.

Is there a way to have my speakers set as "priority 2" and my headphones set as "priority 1" so that any time the headphones are plugged in all speaker output is stopped and sent to the headset?

No system I build will ever not have both headset and speakers, and Id like them to be plug and play interchangeable (speakers never being unplugged; and the headset being used upon necessity).

Logitech made a few attempts at this with keyboards including 3.5 stereo toggles, but the bigger USB headphones "didnt count" for the toggle switch.

I know sound is supposed to be "very hard" on Linux, but I'm sure there is a way to "if else" the hardware.

Open to any insight on the subject.

Hoser Rob
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Sound/ Headphones help please

Postby Hoser Rob » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:09 am

You don't say which Mint version you're using, but I've had all of them installed. And the only one that has actually done what you want is KDE. All the other ones say they have a hierarchy of sound devices but it never worked.

There may be a manual way to do this involving config files but I'd never bother with that for something like this.

Return to “Hardware Support”