Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
KamenRiderNecro
Level 2
Level 2

Installing New SSD IN Established Machine

Postby KamenRiderNecro » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:40 pm

Hello, all!

In my current desktop build, I have a Samsung EVO series SSD that is a brilliant little piece of work, but I also understand it's getting a little long in the tooth, tech wise. So, with that in mind, I'm planning on taking that one out, installing it in my backup machine, and sticking a newer SSD (planning on a Crucial MX300 at this time) into Karchev-02, the main desktop in question.

Here's the thing; I'm planning on doing a complete fresh install of Mint 18.1 onto the new SSD, and I also have a standard platter HDD for storage purposes. I gather that I unplug the HDD before the install, and if so, will the new SSD recognize it right away once I plug it back in? Or will I have to finagle it and reestablish the folders, etc? Stupid question, I guess, but best to ask y'all before I do anything potentially dumb ass!
"Is that gasoline I smell, Mr. Gideon?"

"Jalapeno, what a headache!"

ClixTrix
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Installing New SSD IN Established Machine

Postby ClixTrix » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:37 am

You should not have to unplug the HDD to install. You can if you want, and Mint will detect the drive and partitions (but should not automatically mount them) after you install Mint and reconnect. If you leave it connected, just make sure you're installing to the correct drive during setup.

If there are storage partition(s) that need mounting after install, use Disks in Accessories from Menu. You can edit the Mount options there, so the partition(s) will automatically mount at boot.
Linux Mint 18.2 x64 Cinnamon Kernel 4.10.0-38 Xenial
Gigabyte GA-AB350M-D3H (F5a) / Ryzen 5 1600 / Micron Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400 16GB (2x8GB) /XFX HD5450-1GB
SSD Samsung EVO 960 250GB / HDD WD1600BEKT 160GB / SSD Toshiba OCZ VX500 512GB

Flemur
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Installing New SSD IN Established Machine

Postby Flemur » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:50 am

KamenRiderNecro wrote: I gather that I unplug the HDD before the install,

That's the best way to make sure the installer doesn't mess with it, and it's what I would do.
and if so, will the new SSD recognize it right away once I plug it back in? Or will I have to finagle it and reestablish the folders, etc?

It should show up under "Places" or some such, mount it by (double)clicking the name in your file browser. Its content won't disappear.

Or add some entries to /etc/fstab and have it mount automatically (or not) in the place you want.

Edit: don't use "Disks", I keep reading bad things about it in this forum.
Use gparted to mess with the actual partitions, if necessary, and do the other stuff, if any, by hand. It's simple.
Mint 18.2 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less - Xubuntu 16.10/fluxbox/pulse-less
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Hardware Support”