Just another noob trying to access a shared Windows 10 folder thru my VM Linux Mint

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BAC421

Just another noob trying to access a shared Windows 10 folder thru my VM Linux Mint

Post by BAC421 »

i have been searching thru this forum many days for a solution. I have tried many things. I keep trying, but here it is, the errors i keep getting. All the feedback/criticism is greatly appreciated. my end goal is to be able to print from my VM Linux and share things to my C:/ in windows 10. Thanks again.

Code: Select all

gmoney@mint ~ $ sudo apt-get install samba
[sudo] password for gmoney: 
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for gmoney: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 samba : Depends: samba-common (= 2:4.3.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1) but 2:4.3.11+dfsg-0ubuntu0.16.04.7 is to be installed
         Depends: samba-common-bin (= 2:4.3.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1) but 2:4.3.11+dfsg-0ubuntu0.16.04.7 is to be installed
         Depends: libwbclient0 (= 2:4.3.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1) but 2:4.3.11+dfsg-0ubuntu0.16.04.7 is to be installed
         Depends: samba-libs (= 2:4.3.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1) but 2:4.3.11+dfsg-0ubuntu0.16.04.7 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
gmoney@mint ~ $ uname -a
Linux mint 4.8.0-53-generic #56~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue May 16 01:14:44 UTC 2017 i686 athlon i686 GNU/Linux
gmoney@mint ~ $ 
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Just another noob trying to access a shared Windows 10 folder thru my VM Linux Mint

Post by wallyUSA »

[quote="BAC421"]i have been searching thru this forum many days for a solution. I have tried many things. I keep trying, but here it is, the errors i keep getting. All the feedback/criticism is greatly appreciated. my end goal is to be able to print from my VM Linux and share things to my C:/ in windows 10. Thanks again.

I found a simple solution using win10 host and Cinnamon guest (via VirtualBox).
I created a separate folder in each OS and made them shared. In the VM, setup in the 'shared folders' the win10 folder. Have you tried any of these steps.
There is lots of help here on the forum. I've just been using Linux for a few months. I am sure others here will give input if you still have issues. Tell us more about your config. Hope this helps you get started.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Just another noob trying to access a shared Windows 10 folder thru my VM Linux Mint

Post by altair4 »

It is not at all clear to me if this Win10 machine you speak of is the VM host to a Linux Mint VM guest or if it is is a separate box in your network.

Anyhoo:

** You don't need to install anything to access another machines smb shares.
** If this is between a VM guest and a VM host you don't need samba at all as wallyUSA indicated.

A side recommendation: Although you don't need the "samba" package to do what you need to do installing it should not result in a:
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
I would start another topic - don't mention anything about Samba, smb, or use the word "shared" in the title - and see if someone can help you with the package installation issue.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Hardware Support”