Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ICIT2
Level 1
Level 1

A problem with a sound card

Postby ICIT2 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:47 pm

I am new to Linux insomuch as I tried Mint many years ago and was confounded then but it seems a lot mor user friendly now but please bear with me

I have an Asus Xonar DGX sound card which I isatlled before deciding to get away form Windows and I am not usre if there are drivers available in Linux see pic so is there any way of finding if I can us this sound card I did see on another thread about running the inxi -Fxz in the terminal window but did not see any reference to the Xonar card yet the driver disk is showing up as in the screen shot.

Any advice would be really helpful and appreciated as the on board audio is pretty ordinary if and when it will play through my sound system .
Attachments
Screenshot at 2017-11-11 12-47-03.png

trytip
Level 5
Level 5

Re: A problem with a sound card

Postby trytip » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:03 am

HelenLopez
Level 1
Level 1

Postby HelenLopez » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:52 am

Just to verify, check if the sound is not muted. Once you verify this, go to Sound Settings. In the Sound Settings, you’ll find that you have practically nothing here except a dummy output. It means that your sound card is not even recognized. click reference write my paper. The one shot solution which fix the sound problem is following command in terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T). you will be getting pseudo code.

ICIT2
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ICIT2 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:57 pm

Yes Hellen sorry late reply and I think the card disk only has Windows drivers on it shame because I do like that particular card and system :(

jimallyn
Level 16
Level 16

Postby jimallyn » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:42 pm

Linux Mint comes with drivers for just about everything, including your sound card, and apparently everything else in the Xonar series. I would install PulseAudio Volume Control (find it in Software Manager or Synaptic as 'pavucontrol') then mess with the settings. The CDs you get with computer hardware usually have ONLY Windows drivers, which, of course, are useless in Linux. And did you go to the link that trytip posted?

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

ICIT2
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ICIT2 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:56 pm

Thanks Jim I will give that a go I do appreciate the help from everyone as i am not really sure of the system just yet having been in Windows for so long.

ICIT2
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ICIT2 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:08 pm

Ok Jim I did that and my Xonar card is not being recognised and the thing is as I mentioned on that driver disk for it there looks to be only driers for Windowws the only sound I can get is form the mobo device see pic
Attachments
Screenshot at 2017-11-12 14-06-22.png

Return to “Hardware Support”