Would it be worth doing this upgrade?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wizzybang

Would it be worth doing this upgrade?

Post by wizzybang »

I'm using a fairly old machine, Lenovo R500. P8400, 3gb DDR3.
I've had a look and could get a T9600, and RAM upgrade to 6gb for around £20.00. The machine is pretty good with mint on although starts lagging sometimes when lots of tabs open while browsing.

I could go to a T9900 max but price goes up by a fair amount, to around £40.00 just for the CPU.

Would it be worth it and worth the risk?

Cheers
Sam
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Would it be worth doing this upgrade?

Post by catweazel »

Only you can really judge the value of your 20 quid. Nevertheless, see the CPU value and pricing history at this link.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
wizzybang

Re: Would it be worth doing this upgrade?

Post by wizzybang »

Thanks for the link. £20 not a huge amount of money.

One of the things I'm noticing is when I have a fair few tabs open and watching youtube or suchlike after a while the machine gets laggy so I guess it could be worth it BUT there is the risk of bricking the machine lol. Even though it's a bit of an old beast it's my only beast so hmmm, decisions decisions. I've done a few CPU replacements in laptops before and most have gone ok but I have bricked one once and it was nearly new so I am a bit cautious.

Would I see a huge difference in the performance, that is the big question!!

Return to “Hardware Support”