ssd firmware update?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
helion

ssd firmware update?

Post by helion »

i have not looked into this subject for a long time and noticed a new firmware iso for my samsung 850 evo only recently.

there even seemed to exist a consumer port of samsung magician for linux in the past, which unfortunately is not avaiable anymore.

however, before starting an update, i am curious to know, if someone can speak from his own experience. is updating the fw via bootable cd a straight process?

thank you in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ClixTrix

Re: ssd firmware update?

Post by ClixTrix »

helion wrote:there even seemed to exist a consumer port of samsung magician for linux in the past, which unfortunately is not avaiable anymore.
I think it's still available; they just hid it in plain site.

Look here down the page under DC Toolkit:

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/mi ... 3-11000279

If you look at the User Guide which is February 2017 update, it certainly looks like the Magician for Linux.

My 960 EVO didn't need firmware update, but I did look at the documentation and did find the kit for Linux. Not really sure it supports either of our SSDs. If I needed to update, I was going to use the ISO method....just to be safe.

Unless you have a compatibility or performance problem, I'd avoid a firmware update.

Edit: And.. if you decide to install Magician for Linux, post back and let us all know if it works.
helion

Post by helion »

ClixTrix wrote:
helion wrote:there even seemed to exist a consumer port of samsung magician for linux in the past, which unfortunately is not avaiable anymore.
I think it's still available; they just hid it in plain site.
could be wrong, but i don't think this will work with my ssd.

anyway, burning the iso seems the easiest way. has anybody successfully updated a samsung evo with this method before?

besides: no, i do not have any issues with my ssd. so you would recommend not to update at all?
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

helion wrote:besides: no, i do not have any issues with my ssd. so you would recommend not to update at all?
Well, I saw compatibility for AMD chipset and/or SATA 300/3Gbs as issues for that 850 EVO EMT02B6Q firmware update. Unless those are issues for your system, NO, I wouldn't.

Just like BIOS, if it fixes a problem or adds a needed feature, like new processor, I update. Otherwise, I leave it alone. If this were a new build, yeah, I might consider it ..... if testing indicated I had a problem or there were some published known issue that is verified against my intended use.

A firmware update to SSD COULD BE A RISK TO DATA on the drive, so back it up first. That's probably the most important reason to consider.

Return to “Hardware Support”