Erratic mouse moves on its own

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fayre

Erratic mouse moves on its own

Post by Fayre »

Hello all, (I run Linux Mint 18.2 on a Thinkpad T440s which was a grade a second hand machine bought from an ebay seller less than a month ago )

My mouse keeps on becoming either
1. extremely erratic, moving about on its own and even clicking things open (other tabs/bookmarks). This starts out of (seemingly) nowhere and finishes out of nowhere too. In this case, it really is as if someone else has control of my mouse and we are fighting for control of it, but I've ruled out maliciousness by reading other threads that say someone else having control of my device very unlikely on Linux. Computer totally unusable like this.

2. moves slowly across the screen, like a boat without an anchor slowly drifting with the current. Makes it very hard to use even when drifting slowly as won't stay in one place when I need it to.

In both cases, if I plug in an external mouse, it still happens exactly the same (although it gives me slightly more control). So whether I use trackpoint, touchpad or external mouse it doesn't make a difference for the movements of the mouse.

This happens irregularly and randomly and then seems to work fine for a while (like now, completely still) and then will play up again. I am unable to rule out hardware because I only have one OS on my PC so can't test how it is on other distros (any ideas on other ways to do this?).

Any advice greatly appreciated on what to do next. I know that if I was running Windows I could just reintsall the drivers but doesn't work that way on Linux. Am considering enabling the intel-micocrode from Driver Manager but not sure if that is something that might help.

(I am aware of the following threads about similar issues, however I can't seem to resolve it from them
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=236601&p=1260312&h ... c#p1260312
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=239690&p=1279605&h ... c#p1279605)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ClixTrix

Re: Erratic mouse moves on its own

Post by ClixTrix »

I suspect a faulty touchpad and/or it's clicker.

Have you checked BIOS settings to see if you can disable the touchpad for a test?

Also, try to disable from Mint MENU - PREFERENCES - MOUSE AND TOUCHPAD.
Fayre

Post by Fayre »

Thanks ClixTrix. As soon as it acts up again, I'll try disabling the touchpad via menu or in BIOS.

So would a faulty touchpad also mean that the same thing happens to a USB mouse or the trackpoint? Surely even if it's a faulty touchpad, an external mouse or the trackpoint should work with no problem.

Thanks for your help, will post results.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Fayre wrote:So would a faulty touchpad also mean that the same thing happens to a USB mouse or the trackpoint? Surely even if it's a faulty touchpad, an external mouse or the trackpoint should work with no problem..
You can actually have multiple devices, e.g. mouse and touchpad, active concurrently. Simple Test: With the USB mouse connected and setting still (unmoved), try running your finger across the touchpad ... the cursor should move. The touchpad is really a mouse substitute and they usually operate USB (internal).
Fayre

Post by Fayre »

Sorry ClixTrix think there was a misunderstanding. In my original post, I already mentioned that
if I plug in an external mouse, it still happens exactly the same (although it gives me slightly more control). So whether I use trackpoint, touchpad or external mouse it doesn't make a difference
The erratic mouse movements and drifting mouse movements happen in exactly the same way when using the touchpad, an external (usb) mouse and the trackpoint. Yes, when an external mouse is plugged in via USB, the touchpad still works concurrently (as I prefer it this way).

Hope that makes more sense now.

Return to “Hardware Support”