SOLVED: Why no support for 11ac Realtek rtl8821 or rtl8812?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Eddystone

SOLVED: Why no support for 11ac Realtek rtl8821 or rtl8812?

Post by Eddystone »

Why is there no kernal support for Realtek rtl8821au dual band 11ac 5.8Ghz adapters after all this time? I have gone through the command line process to add this capability numerous times when testing or changing distributions and even when simply updating the kernal. Oddly, it often takes several tries before I am successful due to all the variables involved such as directories and permissions.

I have been able to get the Edimax USB adapters working without much trouble. This time, I bought a Mailiya 11ac adapter rtl8821au, and the usual procedures are not working. I doubt that it is a problem with the adapter since the basic error is that a "directory does not exist" issue.

All that aside, why don't distributions like Linux Mint make is easy to add this high speed networking capability? Am I the only one using it? It can't be because the drivers are proprietary since adding the multimedia drivers seems to be no issue?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Why no support for 11ac Realtek? Either kernal or Mint distro.

Post by JeremyB »

Post results for lsusb
I know I have seen source code for these but nobody seems to want to maintain the code so that it will acceptable for Linus to include in the kernel
Eddystone

Re: Why no support for 11ac Realtek? Either kernal or Mint distro.

Post by Eddystone »

Well, I found it: a simple solution already posted by a Mint forum member:

Postby JeremyB » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:28 am
Try the deb file from Ubuntu http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/u ... u5_all.deb
Once downloaded, just double click and it should open gdebi to install it.

Then reboot.

This worked like a charm for the Mailiya 11ac usb adapter, and I expect it will for the Edimax 11ac adapters.

SOLVED and thank you, JeremyB

Return to “Hardware Support”