Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
BenTrabetere
Level 4
Level 4

Iomega USB Zip 250

Postby BenTrabetere » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:33 pm

Does anyone have experience using an Iomega Zip Drive with Linux Mint?

I made the mistake of opening a large box labelled “Computer Stuff” that had been sealed for over a decade and found my old backup and file transfer device: an Iomega USB Zip 250 Drive and a handful of Zip disks.

There is not a lot information on the interwebs about using this device with Linux. Most of it is very old, very little is directed at the USB version of the device, the tutorials I found are filled with dead links, and Iomega Corp is defunct.

I have tried to get it to work on laptop running Bodhi Linux. I added the user to the floppy group and installed the jazip package. The [cijazipconf[/c] failed to create the /etc/jazip.conf file, so I created it manually. I think the device mounts when I launch jazip, but it throws out an ‘Insert disk’ error - or it could be that jazip is picking up what is in the jazip.conf I created manually. (The device does not show up when I run df, fdsk, or lsblk.)

ClixTrix
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Iomega USB Zip 250

Postby ClixTrix » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:07 pm

I use to use the Zip 100 and 250 a lot in the 90s through about 2007 or so. The drives weren't 100% reliable with click of death syndrome. If it clicks a lot, that could be the problem. I used the SCSI and USB type and had an ATAPI in my daughter's system. Better than stacks and stacks of Floppies.

I do recall looking for tools for someone with the drive a few years back.....and my notes suggest Linux support was available in Ubuntu with an app. It's actually around the 2011-12 timeframe, where I got interested in Mint. It may have Debian roots with Ziptool, as I was Debian during alot of those years and I think I used Zip once or twice from Terminal. Don't know if that tool is still around. The one your trying is probably the best available. Don't know that Distro, so something in the Debian clan probably has a good or better chance .... like Ubuntu and Mint. At least it's available in Software Manager.

You could try booting Mint from flash and install that zazip tool from Software Manager for a test.

Zippy ... Do ... Dat! :lol:
Linux Mint 18.2 x64 Cinnamon Kernel 4.10.0-42 Xenial
Gigabyte GA-AB350M-D3H (F5a) / Ryzen 5 1600 / Micron Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400 16GB (2x8GB) /XFX HD5450-1GB
SSD Samsung EVO 960 250GB / HDD WD1600BEKT 160GB / SSD Toshiba OCZ VX500 512GB

BenTrabetere
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Iomega USB Zip 250

Postby BenTrabetere » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:03 am

ClixTrix wrote:I use to use the Zip 100 and 250 a lot in the 90s through about 2007 or so. The drives weren't 100% reliable with click of death syndrome. If it clicks a lot, that could be the problem.

A SCSI SyQuest drive was my backup device when I used OS/@, and when it was no longer a viable option I switched to a SCSI Zip 100. When that bit the dust I had migrated to WinXP and to the USB Zip 250.

I am familiar with the Click of Death, and I have experienced it in the past. The stack of disks I have are all from Iomega, so that should not be an issue. And I am not hearing the dreaded click.

The program you mentioned, ZipTool, is included with the jazip package. Bodhi LInux is a light weight distro based on Ubuntu. I have another laptop running AntiX, which is based on Debian, and I will try that next.

Thanks

Return to “Hardware Support”