Updating External Western Digital Firmware

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JohnDoeIII

Updating External Western Digital Firmware

Post by JohnDoeIII »

Hi Yalll,

How are yall today? I have tried updating the firmware on both my external Western Digital My Passport Hard Drives via the Universal Firmware Updater for Windows on Western Digital's website on my Windows PC, but so far the update hasn't taken. So I'm wondering, is there away to update the firmware via my Linux machine. The only way I could think to do it would be via installing WINE and running the .exe from there. But I'm hoping they have a way to just do it in Linux without having to install WINE (older machine, WINE doesn't run so well). Any help is appreciated. Thank Yall and have a wonderful day.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Updating External Western Digital Firmware

Post by catweazel »

I doubt that the kernel would let wine get that close to the hardware. Anyway, after four decades in the computer industry I've never once had to update a HDD's firmware. The drive inside your external box will be a standard drive. There is no need to update firmware unless you know that it explicitly fixes an issue that you are experiencing.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Updating External Western Digital Firmware

Post by Hoser Rob »

I doubt that the firmware in that drive has anything to do with Linux anyway.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Hardware Support”