Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Paul L
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 7 and EEEpc

Post by Paul L »

I've just installed Mint 7 RC1 on my eepc (the original 701 with 4Gb SSD) It worked straight "out of the box" including wi-fi and camera. Looks great too!

Paul

revdjenk
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 7 and EEEpc

Post by revdjenk »

Paul,

I'm glad you like it. I tried it for a while on my 701, but I didn't like all the scrolling to see a whole page in Firefox, for example.

I am now using Easy Peasy 1.1. It has all the apps scaled to the screen. For me, it is a more pleasant distro for the 701.

God Bless
Doug
Malachi 3:10 NRSV
...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...

Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy

lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lanrun »

Mint 7 is good :D I have installed Mint7 RC1 on my EeePC 901 with 16 GB SSD. Wireless works, Skype works with webcam, quick boot....

regards

TjankMjaster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TjankMjaster »

Has anyone installed Mint 7 on a EPC1000HE?? I'm shopping them and curious how everything is working.
Paul

Toshiba NB205 Netbook, 1GB, Atom 1.6, - Helena Gnome

barrieluv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barrieluv »

I've installed Mint 7 on my 900 20GB (previously Eeebuntu Base 3.0)and my brother's 701 4GB (previously Xandros) and am as happy as Larry with both installs. Once some of the superfluous stuff is removed (Compiz for a start) it pretty much flies along.

From what I've read, the 1000HE install is pretty much flawless except for the wireless hiccup described earlier.

johnwitham: The solution to the wireless breaking after sleep can be found here
EeePC 701 Ubuntu 10.04 || HP Pavilion DV6 Linux Mint 17 Mate Edition

kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

I have a brand new 1000HE on which I'm experimenting with distros...
I kept XP (in a corner!), I installed eeebuntu 3.01 Netbook remix and it's really fantastic; at the moment it's my main OS there. I urge everyone to try it, it's perfectly optimized.
Meanwhile, I also installed Mint 7 KDE CE RC; it's really good! I still have to test it more, but it's working pretty much out of the box. However, I advice to install Eee-control (http://greg.geekmind.org/eee-control/), a nice little app that's useful as hell. I deactivated the desktop effects too.

What about a Netbook Mint? 8)

calibre97
Level 1
Level 1

Post by calibre97 »

I have a Toshiba NB205-N311 that has the Atheros AR9285 that isn't recognized. I hear the 2.6.29 and above has support for the chip but alas, Mint 7 is a 2.6.28-11 or so (depending on updates).

I have the Windows driver from Toshiba, but it's all setup.exe and data1.cab and so forth so I can't get to an INF file to use the Windows Wireless Drivers (ndiswrapper) route. Anyone able to find the Atheros AR9285 INF file or get it working?

In the Ubuntu forums, there's a thread where a couple new-to-Linux folks gave up on Ubuntu because Fedora 11 worked. I ain't about to try that!

TjankMjaster
Level 1
Level 1

Netbooks and Virtualbox

Post by TjankMjaster »

OK. For everyone using Netbooks, specifically with the Atom processors and the 1GB memory, with Mint,.. anyone using Virtualbox with XP on it? How's it working for you? bugs, etc.

I know I'll need XP for some work functionality, but I don't want to dual boot if I don't have too. ( I always end up launching missles when I try to build dual boot systems :oops: :? ). everything I've read, says you should have a Duo Core processor or better with at least 2GB of mem. Looking for feedback on using Virtualbox on the netbooks. I'm still shopping for a new laptop.

Thanks in advance for the input.

-Paul
Paul

Toshiba NB205 Netbook, 1GB, Atom 1.6, - Helena Gnome

Return to “Hardware Support”