Debounce Mouse (Prevent too fast double clicks)

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Prometheus
Level 1
Level 1

Debounce Mouse (Prevent too fast double clicks)

Postby Prometheus » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:45 am

Hello,

How to debounce a mouse in Linux Mint? Single click occasionally results in double clicks. I've solved the problem successfully in Windows with a Autohotkey script.

Things I tried:
- From http://blog.guntram.de/?p=16 I've built from the repo myself and patching with "patch -p 1 < ../evdev-debounce.patch" results in conflict in Linux Mint 18+
- Other Linux Mint Forum posts with no software solutions viewtopic.php?f=90&t=257429&p=1393576&hilit=debounce#p1393576, viewtopic.php?f=49&t=221959&p=1167219&hilit=debounce#p1167219

Any help?

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon Logitech G600

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Debounce Mouse (Prevent too fast double clicks)

Postby Cosmo. » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:46 am

Buy a new mouse.

Seriously: I see this here and then with m older mouse, never with the touchpad. The web is full of complaints bout it, mostly Windows-users. If the mouse cheats (not sure, if this is the right English word) for it, it does it usually with the mostly used left mouse button; I have never seen this with any of the other ones. So a mechanical problem.

BG405
Level 5
Level 5

Postby BG405 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:57 pm

I've had the same issue with the right button too, probably because I often use right-click and have single-click set on all my machines. If you use single-click your left button will last up to twice as long. :wink:

However, it would be good if the mouse drivers would ignore a second click within a duration which is not humanly possible to reproduce .. and an anti-squiggle routine for the pointer, especially for the cheap laser mice which are still common. That one is VERY irritating! (but off-topic for this thread; I'll start a new one).
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Acer D255E 2GB - LM17.3 KDE 32
Toshiba NB305 - LM17.3 Xfce 32--------------------K7S5A Athlon 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 -----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

FreedomTruth
Level 4
Level 4

Postby FreedomTruth » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:08 pm

I did follow the blog post, manually patched (the latest evdev code doesn't exactly match the version that patch was made for), built it, and am running it on another computer (different distro too) -- it does help with stop getting double-clicks (when I single-click) on a defective mouse I use on that computer; however, it's still difficult to click-and-drag. The mouse sends click, release, click (which now gets ignored) so when I try to drag, the OS thinks the button has been released already. So even if you do get this to work on LM, it's not going to completely cure the issue. Best to fix or replace the hardware (as Cosmo. already suggested). If you really, really want to use this evdev fix, I can probably assist you in building the current evdev with an updated debounce patch.
If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free... Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin... Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.

Return to “Hardware Support”