Video Tearing, GPU Driver?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FrankN209
Level 2
Level 2

Video Tearing, GPU Driver?

Post by FrankN209 »

I'm trying to find out if my intel gpu driver is installed. When i type inxi -G i get:

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card: Intel Sky Lake Integrated Graphics
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Iris Pro Graphics 580 (Skylake GT4e)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7
Every time I watch a video, either on youtube or downloaded or even scrolling on this website, I get tearing.
I think my computer hardware shouldn't be a problem.

i7, 16gb ram, samsung ssd, and my gpu listed above. What else could be the problem?

Regards,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ShadowMessiah

Re: Video Tearing, GPU Driver?

Post by ShadowMessiah »

I have this same issue (but only on scrolling) in both Opera and Firefox, and I have a dedicated Radeon R7 series card. I've just come to accept that this is the way linux is so long as the xserver is used for the graphical backend.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

I'm trying to find out if my intel gpu driver is installed. When i type inxi -G i get:
Fire up Synaptic, and remove xserver-xorg-video-intel. Log-out (or even better, reboot). Your inxi report should now return 'modesetting'. Now test if tearing still exists. And if such is still the case, go to control center - desktop settings - window manager (that's how it is under Mate, it might be slightly different under Cinnamon) , and set it to have Compton enabled. Restart X (or log-out / reboot again...)
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

test your browser for tear here https://ptpb.pw/K8Vr.webm and i do agree if you can, use compton. i have never used cinnamon so can't say what would be best, but compiz also has good screen tear prevention
dark

Post by dark »

Try Compton https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB95mCPgG4U

sudo apt install compton
Create compton.conf file in .config folder in your Home folder and copy/paste from this link:
https://github.com/Lend27/linuxstuff/bl ... mpton.conf
Add Compton to Startup Applications.
Reboot.
FrankN209
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FrankN209 »

I couldn't get it to work. I was using Mate, uninstalled and installed Cinnamon, the "tearing" stopped. :)
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

FrankN209 wrote:I couldn't get it to work. I was using Mate, uninstalled and installed Cinnamon, the "tearing" stopped. :)
been using mate 17.3 with compton or comnpiz and hasn't got no tear so not sure why switching to cinnamon solved it but whatever, you got your thing to work the way you want it so you might want to SOLVE this thread
Ascaris

Post by Ascaris »

In order to get rid of the screen tearing, you will need to enable hardware acceleration on Firefox or Opera. I know that, by default, hardware acceleration is blocked on Linux in Firefox, and I've read that Google does the same thing in Chrome. Since Opera is based on the same Chromium engine as Chrome, it may be in the same boat.

In Firefox, you can force enable hardware acceleration with the tips in this article:
https://cialu.net/enable-hardware-accel ... ke-faster/

I use nVidia graphics in Mint (Cinnamon), and it's tear free now. It was pretty terrible in Firefox before these changes!

Return to “Hardware Support”